History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Croyde, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1311 / 51°7'51"N

Longitude: -4.221 / 4°13'15"W

OS Eastings: 244692

OS Northings: 139212

OS Grid: SS446392

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.90HG

Mapcode Global: VH3Q0.STDS

Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98420

Location: Georgeham, North Devon, Devon, EX33

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Georgeham

Built-Up Area: Croyde

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Georgeham St George

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Croyde

Listing Text

SS 43 NW GEORGEHAM ST MARY'S ROAD (north side)
Croyde

6/168 Chapel of St Mary
-

GV II

Mission chapel, 1874. Squared rubble with crested ridge tiles to slate roof with
coped gable ends. Ashlar dressings. Gothic style. Continuous nave and chancel
with 2 parallel right-angled projections forming north transept, with vestry
attached. 3 windows on south side, pointed arched openings with hood moulds.
Single lancet to left and 2 double lancets to right, that to centre has foiled
plate tracery. 2 short buttresses between pointed arched doorway to left side with
chamfered surround and door with cover strips and ornate strap hinges. East end
window of 3 stepped lancets in pointed arched opening, west end has 2-light window
with quatrefoiled plate tracery in chamfered pointed arch. 2 bay arcade with 4-
centred arches supported on central pier with hipped and carved capital. Arch
braced roof trusses to nave, that dividing nave/chancel space is supported on
engaged columns with hipped capitals. Interior walls plastered. Bellcote at left
gable end with gabled coping and pointed arched opening with bell. Cross on gablet
at right gable end.


Listing NGR: SS4469239212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.