This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3633 / 50°21'47"N
Longitude: -4.0175 / 4°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 256603
OS Northings: 53433
OS Grid: SX566534
Mapcode National: GBR Q2.1RVD
Mapcode Global: FRA 28G2.QP9
Entry Name: Higher Hareston
Listing Date: 29 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100301
Location: Brixton, South Hams, Devon, PL8
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Brixton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 55 SE BRIXTON
29/3/84 Higher Hareston
Former manor house with a chapel adjoining. Circa late C15 early C16 hall house in
remarkably complete state. Stone rubble and granite dressings. Slate roof with
gable ends. Hall solar and service wing, with parlour wing extension and chapel.
The hall has large four-light window with four-centred arch lights, chimney stacks on
front left with set off and moulded cap. Two-storeyed porch, to left of stack, to
screens passage, with moulded battlements and cable mould string, two-light 1st floor
window and moulded four-centred arch doorway with carved spandrels and label. The
cable mould string continues to left over gable of service wing to left (south) which
also has two-light windows and side stack with moulded cap and buttresses with
set-offs. The solar at the north end has stacks over the gable ends also with
moulded caps, and extends at the back to a parlour wing forming an L-shaped plan..
Over the side of the wing another stack with moulded cap. Continuous roll moulded
four-centred arch doorway on the south side of the parlour and a small gabled stair
tower in the angle at the rear. At the back of hall a two-light window with central
arch lights and buttress with set offs. The rear door of screen's passage has
four-centred arch and roll moulding. Small circa C16 chapel licensed in 1378 and
1399, on front (north east) of solar wing, has moulded four-centred arch doorway with
label. The service end once extended at rear with a kitchen wing and a linhay which
enclosed the courtyard. The kitchen wing and linhay were destroyed in a fire in
1750 but the outer walls of the kitchen wing and linhay survive one with a granite
doorway with roll moulding.
Interior: The front door arch of the screen's passage is four-centred and has
continuous roll moulding. The screen has been largely rebuilt in C20, but retains
some of the original fabric and is jettied above with moulded bressumers supporting
an upper screen. The hall's later floor has been removed, now open to roof which has
arch braces to the collar and carved wind braces. Moulded granite chimneypiece with
ogee head, to hall fireplace. At the higher end of the hall moulded, doorways to
solar and stairs. Similar door in cross passage to the buttery. Small stone squint
from solar to hall.
Over the porch are the Wood and Fortescue family arms. John Wood, who died in 1537,
may have built the house.
Ref: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 106, 1974, 119-40.
Listing NGR: SX5660553433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings