This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3632 / 50°21'47"N
Longitude: -4.0419 / 4°2'30"W
OS Eastings: 254866
OS Northings: 53471
OS Grid: SX548534
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.VRLQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 28F2.M5Z
Entry Name: West Sherford Farm House Including Outbuilding Adjoining on North East
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100303
Location: Brixton, South Hams, Devon, PL8
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Brixton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 55 SW BRIXTON
23/4/52 West Sherford Farm
on north east
Farmhouse and adjoining outbuilding. Circa C16 with C17 alterations and additions.
Stone rubble. Steeply pitched slate roof with gabled, half-hipped and hipped ends.
Two storeys. Long six window range. The west part appears to have been heightened
in C17 and extended at front by two bays with hipped roofs and four-light
hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows with hood moulds, the ground floor windows
have four-centred arch lights. To the right at centre, a cross-passage doorway with
four-centred arch and roll moulding with large rendered chimney stack at side, with
set-offs. Two-light granite window above doorway. The lower right hand (east) end
has a range of casements, stack on the rear, wall and an outbuilding at right angles,
to north east with external stairs to loft and pigeon holes. At the west end a
two-storey, one-bay late C19 addition. At the rear (north) a late C18/C19 wing.
Interior: main fireplace in the hall is blocked. The room east of the cross-passage
has stopped chamfered ceiling beams and fireplace with chamfered wooden bressumer.
Fireplace is in the C17 extension at front has plain chamfered granite chimneypiece.
West Sherford was granted after 1582 to Francis Drake after his circumnavigation.
The former provisional lists states:- "The main block has high pitched roof, which
retains some arched principals. It is possible that originally the principal room
was on the first floor".
Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 1945 Vol. 77 page 128-130.
Listing NGR: SX5486653471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings