This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3452 / 50°20'42"N
Longitude: -4.0644 / 4°3'52"W
OS Eastings: 253206
OS Northings: 51509
OS Grid: SX532515
Mapcode National: GBR NZ.WRTJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 28C4.4CG
Entry Name: Barn and Shippen Approximately 50 Metres South South East of Spriddlestone Barton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100288
Location: Brixton, South Hams, Devon, PL9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Brixton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 55 SW BRIXTON SPRIDDLESTONE
Barn and Shippen
approximately 50 metres
south south east of
Bank barn with shippen below. Circa late C18 with early C19 extension at north west
end. Incorporating some circa C16 and C17 reused material. Stone rubble with
granite dressings. The circa C17 granite lintels are chamfered or moulded and reused
lintels and jambs are from an earlier house on the site. Slurried slate roof with
half-hipped gable ends. Long two storey range built into the bank. Shippen doors at
ground level. Loft doors above; one has external stone steps. Barn doors at ground
level at rear. Small C19 shippen and loft extension at right angles on south east
Interior: some reused moulded ceiling beams and lintels.
Spriddlestone was the seat of a branch of the Fortescue family from circa 1355 to
1785. The large medieval house, which was enlarged in C16, has gone, but some of the
material has been reused in this farm building and in another outbuilding
approximately 40 metres east of Spriddlestone Barton Farmhouse qv.
Listing NGR: SX5320651509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings