This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2224 / 50°13'20"N
Longitude: -3.6423 / 3°38'32"W
OS Eastings: 282942
OS Northings: 37116
OS Grid: SX829371
Mapcode National: GBR QP.FKX4
Mapcode Global: FRA 388F.LW2
Entry Name: Start Point Lighthouse
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107958
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99957
Location: Stokenham, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stokenham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stokenham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX83NW Start Point Lighthouse
Lighthouse 1836 by James Walker engineer, with minor alterations of 1871.
Tarred and white-painted granite ashlar with cast-iron lantern roofed in
Tall circular tower of about 28 metres high with moulded plinth and pedestal
stage and 2 diminishing stages above that, the top stage with a corbelled
embattled parapet and a cast-iron lattice lantern with a copper canopy
surrounded by weatervane.
Rectangular and small round-headed window openings with plain raised
architraves and blind panel on west side under the parapet.
On the north and south sides there are 2 entrance porches, that on the south
side blocked an with a 4-centred arch hoodmould; the doorway to the north
porch has a Tudor arch and botn have raised parapets with Trinity House
Interior: There is a cantilevered granite staircase around the inside well
of the tower with an iron balustrade with a cast-iron newel. The lighthouse
originally had the keepers' living accommodation on the ground and first
floor but the floor was taken out in 1871 when new keepers' houses were
The lens is developed from the dioptic system designed by Alan Stevenson,
the first of this kind to be used by Trinity House.
The light was powered by oil until 1959 when it was electrified.
Originally the fog-sounder was a bell mounted outside, but this was soon
replaced, in about 1851, because the new steam ships could not hear the
Source: Trinity House. Douglas B. Hague and Rosemary Christie,
Listing NGR: SX8294237116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings