This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2731 / 50°16'23"N
Longitude: -3.6897 / 3°41'22"W
OS Eastings: 279690
OS Northings: 42829
OS Grid: SX796428
Mapcode National: GBR QL.YCSR
Mapcode Global: FRA 3859.LDY
Entry Name: White House Hotel
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99990
Location: Stokenham, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stokenham
Built-Up Area: Chillington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stokenham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX7942 White House Hotel
13/206 (formerly known as
House, now used as an hotel. Early to mid C19, extended later in C19 and
extended again in 1924 (dated rainwater head) and altered internally in C20.
stuccoed, probably stone rubble; 1924 extension is stone rubble with
concrete dressings. Double span slate roof with gable ends.
Plan: The original house was probably of double depth plan with 2 principal
rooms at the front with a central entrance hall and smaller rooms at the
back. Later in C19 a large parallel range was built at the rear (west) with
a small single storey outshut behind. In 1924 the house was extended on the
left hand south side with a classical facade facing the garden to the south;
a drawing room on the side of the front range, another room on the south of
the back range, another room on the south of the back range and a loggia in
the space between.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 1:3 bay east front. Original symmetrical 3 bay house
to right. First floor C19 12-pane sashes and central casement with glazing
bars in moulded stucco architraves. C20 canted bays on ground floor,
central doorway with C19 6-panel door, semi-circular fanlight with lead
tracery and circa 1924 arched canopy on console brackets and with shell on
top. Projecting on left is 1924 wing with corner pilasters with moulded
cornices and urns on top, semi-circular headed ground floor window with
glazing bars and hoodmould and 12-pane window above. 2 lead rainwater pipes
with ornate heads dated 1924. The left hand south return, 2:2:2:1 bays,
left and right hand bays project with stuccoed and moulded wooden pediments;
12-pane casements (like sashes) on first floor with blind oval panels
between and French casements on ground floor with hoodmoulds; between the
left and right hand bays a 3-bay loggia with square columns supporting
a slate lean-to canopy. The right hand north elevation facing road has C19
sashes with glazing in moulded stucco architraves. Rear west elevation has
small single storey outshut and late C19 sashes on first floor.
Interior: Much altered in 1924 and later C20 although some C19 joinery
survives. The right hand (north rooms of original house) have circa 1924
moulded plaster cornices, the left hand room is now part of entrance hall
and has a 1924 Tudor style chimneypiece and a C20 staircase and bar at the
back. The 1924 extension on left south side contains the drawing room which
has a moulded plaster laurel wreath ceiling, dentilled cornice and Devon
limestone (marble) bolection moulded chimneypiece.
Listing NGR: SX7969042829
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings