This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3222 / 50°19'20"N
Longitude: -3.7296 / 3°43'46"W
OS Eastings: 276972
OS Northings: 48353
OS Grid: SX769483
Mapcode National: GBR QK.N7KK
Mapcode Global: FRA 3825.W9N
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99835
Location: East Allington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: East Allington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Allington St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EAST ALLINGTON EAST ALLINGTON
SX74NE Church of St Anrdew
Parish church. Probably C13 origins, enlarged in C14, enlarged again and
remodelled in early C16 and restored in mid C19 by William Cubitt and
reopened in 1875.
Dressed slate rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped
Plan and development: The C13 church was probably only a nave and chancel
which appear to have been enlarged in C14 by the addition of a north aisle
and possibly the west tower, although the tower might have been largely
rebuilt in the early C16 when the whole church was remodelled and enlarged
with a south aisle and integral porch.
The plan of the existing church comprises:- west tower, nave and chancel in
one, 5-bay north and south aisles, almost the length of the nave and
chancel, the north aisle 3 bays plus 2 chancel bays, the south aisle similar
but its west bay occupied by an integral porch. There is a stair turret at
the west end of the south aisle in the angle with the tower, which gives
access to a chamber over the proch. The road stair turret is on the north
side. The church was restored by William Cubitt reopened in 1875.
Exterior: Chamfered plinth around the church. The south aisle has 4 C19
granite Perpendicular style 3-light windows, buttresses with set-offs
between and a tall narrow round arch south porch doorway to left with a
broad ovolo moulding. The inner doorway has a tall narrow chamfered round
arch and late C19 door. Late C19 stair turret at the west end of south
aisle in angle with tower. Early C20 priest's doorway in split buttress; to
its right a slate monument to Dorothy Tawley died 1728. The north aisle has
similar C19 Perpendicular style windows except for the centre window which
is C16 and has 3 round-headed lights and a hoodmould with stops and the
easternmost which is a Medieval Beerstone Perpendicular traceried window.
Buttresses with set-offs between the windows and a large polygonal rood
stair turret with battlements. Both the 3-light east windows of the aisles
are Medieval and granite, that of the north aisle with panel tracery, the
south aisle east window has simple tracery with round-headed lights. The
chancel east window is a 4-light late C19 Perpendicular style replacement.
Tall 3-stage west tower with set-back buttresses and embattled parapet on a
corbel table. Off-centre on the north side is a polygonal stair turret with
a tented stone dome and weathervane. Small round-headed bell-opening on
each side with slate louvres. On the south side of C19 lights have been
inserted at the ringing stage. Late C19 granite Perpendicular style west
window of 3 lights and blocked west doorway below with chamfered slate 2-
Interior: Plastered walls, hollow chamfered rear arches. The tower has
exposed masonry and a tall unmoulded 2-centred tower arch with chamfered
imports. The original roofs were all replaced with unceiled waggon roofs
with moulded ribs in late C19. The floors are paved in late C19 tiles.
5-bay north arcade, the 2 chancel bays have double chamfered 3-centred
arches and granite monolith. A type piers with moulded caps and basin. The
east respond is polygonal in dressed slate while the other north aisle piers
are granite monolith octagonals with moulded bases and caps and have moulded
granite 4-centred arches. The south arcade is similar but the all the piers
are A-type granite except for the east respond which is semi-octagonal and
the westermost bay is occupied by the integral south porch.
Rood screen of arch 1547 across nave and aisles largely complete but canopy
is missing; one of the bench ends fixed to the base is dated 1633. One bay
of the south parclose screen survives. The north parclose is C20 but
incorporates fragments of old tracery. The base and panels of the pulpit
are C16 with Gothic foliage between the panels which have canopied niches -
a Renaissance style frieze with a Jacobean billeted cornice. Cusped head
piscina in east end of north aisle. Reredos of 1892 in carved alabaster.
In 1908 sanctuary walls panelled in marble. The rest of the furnishings are
late C19 including benches in nave and aisles, the choir stalls and the
carved wooden eagle lecturn. The marble font is circa 1900. The organ of
1913 is American.
Good series of wall monuments: Marble monument in chancel to Revd Nathaniel
Wells d.1762, signed M Emes Exon and other Gothick monuments in chancel to
members of the Wells family one signed Weeks. At the east end of south
aisle an early C17 monument with kneeling figures in an aedicule and a brass
to John Fortescue 1595 and wife and a fragment of a brass to right with one
kneeling figure and tablet above dated 1572 with a shield. Also in the
chancel south chapel a Fortescue wall monument of 1821 and 3 C17 local
marble ledger stones to the Fortescues. There are two other C17 slate
ledger stones in the south aisle and a Gothick wall monument to Fortescue
Wells died 1861. Large classical marble wall monument to members of
Fortescue family at west end of south aisle. In the chancel north chapel an
unusual wall monument with a laurel wreath around a heart inscribed to
memory of Elizabeth Wood and above an undated monument to members of the
Scobell family of Nutcombe (probably late C18). Also in nouth chapel a
slate plaque to Mary Pages died 1761 signed J. Doleman of Modbury.
Stained glass: Most of the Windows have C19 plain glass with red borders
but there is a small fragment of Medieval glass in one of the north chapel
windows. The east and west windows have late C19 pictorial glass in memory
of Mrs Fortescue and William Cubitt (1892) respectively. Memorial Window to
Felix Calvert of Coombe in north aisle, 1936 by George Cooper Abbs.
6 bells, four of which were cast in 1723, one in 1861, and one in 1908.
Sources: Beatrix F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of
Woodleigh, 1923. Church Guide by J H Bloom, 1955.
Listing NGR: SX7697248353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings