This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2985 / 50°17'54"N
Longitude: -3.8931 / 3°53'34"W
OS Eastings: 265268
OS Northings: 45993
OS Grid: SX652459
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.BMQL
Mapcode Global: FRA 28Q7.R5B
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Last Amended: 25 January 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108047
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99774
Location: Ringmore, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Ringmore
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ringmore
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 64 NE VILLAGE CENTRE
1307/5/179 Church of All Hallows
Anglican parish church. Mainly late C13 or early C14, but some remains of C12
work. Rubble, some rendering to tower, slate roofs, terracotta ridge tiles.
Nave, north transept, chancel with north chapel, tower south side of nave over
porch. Square tower with half-height diagonal buttresses, projecting crenellated parapet on corbel table, small set-back octagonal stone spire. South front has plain pointed outer arch to barrel vaulted porch over richly modelled inner doorway. Lancet over outer door and to bell chamber; lancet on east side,
mid height slits to 3 faces, slate sundial. To right is lean-to roof over stair
projection; left and right in nave a 2-light plate tracery window with quatre-
foil under drip; diagonal buttress to west, angle buttress to east. Chancel has
similar 2-light plate, but with sexfoil, and large triple lancet with drip over
plate tympanum. Simple chamfered priest's door. East end has triple lancet the
same; angle buttresses. North side has attached chapel, lancet to east, lancet
and square-headed doorway, heavy buttress at west end. North transept has two
Norman lights to the east, and two single offset buttresses, not at corner.
North side has 3 stepped lancets under a relieving arch, some evidence of small
opening above. Heavy offset plinth. West side windowless, but 3 heavy but-
tresses. North side of nave has two 2-light C19 windows with quatrefoils, and
west end has a sexfoil light set high; no doorway. Interior: plastered walls,
slate and tile floor, barrel vault roof, formerly plastered, high door to tower
stair. Plain chancel arch with C19 painting above, and plain arch to north
transept which includes a 2-light opening in the arch; roof as nave, but lower,
opening to east chapel, up 2 steps. Chancel has barrel roof, tiled floor, cham-
fered rear-arches; the east window has hexagonal C13 style colonnettes. Wood
grille to north chapel. Cusped piscina with credence shelf. Chancel roof 1915
in memory of F C and M J Hingeston-Randolph.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, [South Devon 1952], [Devon 1989 p.701].
Listing NGR: SX6526845993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings