This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3081 / 50°18'29"N
Longitude: -3.8371 / 3°50'13"W
OS Eastings: 269278
OS Northings: 46969
OS Grid: SX692469
Mapcode National: GBR QC.Q41L
Mapcode Global: FRA 28V6.WG3
Entry Name: Aveton Gifford Bridges and Causeway
Listing Date: 28 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99451
Location: Aveton Gifford, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Aveton Gifford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Churchstow St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
AVETON GIFFORD A379
SX 64 NE
4/9 Aveton Gifford bridges
Also in Churchstow c.p.
Two bridges over River Avon and mill leat. Contains some late mediaeval fabric,
but widened and extended in early C19. Rubble. At the north end, over former
mill leat, 2 segmental arches to flush voussoirs and triangular cutwater; near
horizontal squared parapet runs down to Bridge House on the west side, and
continuously from turning to Marsh Mill towards south. At south end a six-arch
bridge, one of these mostly absorbed in later embankment, flush voussoirs,
triangular cutwaters; parapet walls continuous on east side linking with parapet
to north bridge, and taken along to garage forecourt on west side. Parapet wall
has series of vertical through stones in regular bays, characteristic of bridges
in the area. The ford is said to have been first bridged c.1440; a major
widening of c.2 m occurred on the upstream side. Crossing still of importance
and heavily used.
Listing NGR: SX6927846969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings