This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4058 / 50°24'20"N
Longitude: -3.8116 / 3°48'41"W
OS Eastings: 271361
OS Northings: 57779
OS Grid: SX713577
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PYC1
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XZ.6X6
Entry Name: Higher Lodge
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101371
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Pair of attached gate lodges converted into one house, on the Black Hall
(qv) estate. Circa 1830-40 (depicted on the Black Hall estate map of
1840), converted into one house probably in early C20. Slate rubble,
probably originally stuccoed, with dressed slate lintels. Hipped roof with
splayed ends and deep eaves with shaped brackets; only the right hand end
has its original grouted scantle slate roof, the centre and the left hand
end has been reclad in diagonally-set asbestos tiles. Tall rendered stacks
over the end walls.
Plan: Pair of attached estate lodges situated at entrance to drive,
converted into one house. Each lodge has a mirror image plan of one room
with a splayed out front corner and a shared central entrance lobby at the
front, behind which are the stairs against the party wall. The rooms are
heated from stacks on the end walls. There is a single storey outshut
behind each lodge which has been heightened to 2 storeys probably in the
early C20 when the lodges were converted into one house.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:3:1 window range, the right and left
hand windows in the splayed corners. Original early C19 3-light casements
with glazing bars, slate lintels and slate cills; the first floor centre
window and first floor windows in the splayed corners are blind and have
painted dummy casements with leaded panes. Central doorway to lobby with
late C19 or early C20 plank door and gabled timber hood on shaped brackets.
Panelled back door. The single storey rear outshuts have been raised to 2
storeys and rendered.
Interior: Simple C19 panelled doors. The left hand room has simple C19
chimneypiece and is used as the lion room; the right hand room's fireplace
has a C20 Rayburn range.
Listing NGR: SX7136157779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings