This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4096 / 50°24'34"N
Longitude: -3.8142 / 3°48'51"W
OS Eastings: 271183
OS Northings: 58213
OS Grid: SX711582
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PPWV
Mapcode Global: FRA 27WZ.5TD
Entry Name: Bank House the Shop the Shop and Bank House
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101378
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
The Shop and Bank
Pair of attached cottages with a shop on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa
1840-45 (not depicted on the Black Hall estate map of 1840) with later C19
additions. Stone rubble. Asbestos slate pyramidal hipped roof with deep
eaves. Rendered stack at apex of roof.
Plan: Pair of attached estate cottages. The original building is square
overall; the mirror image plan of each cottage has a living room at the front
and a kitchen behind, and each room is heated from one central stack. Later
in the C19 a 2 storey 1-room plan addition containing a shop was added to the
side of the left hand cottage (The Shop) with an outshut in the angle at the
rear, and another outshut was added to the rear of the right hand cottage
Exterior: 2 storeys. 1:2 window range. The right hand 2 windows are in the
original symmetrical front and the left hand window is in the later C19
addition. First floor C19 2-light casements with 8 panes per light and wooden
lintels. The ground floor has 3 canted bay windows with C19 casements 8 panes
per light and hipped roof made of large slates; the left hand bay is a shop
window with panelled shutters and to its right is a C19 flush panel door with
a scantle slate hipped hood.
The right hand return has similar casements, C20 glazed porch to the right and
C20 wooden garage to left of centre. At the rear a 1 storey and attic
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX7118358213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings