This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4107 / 50°24'38"N
Longitude: -3.8094 / 3°48'34"W
OS Eastings: 271526
OS Northings: 58326
OS Grid: SX715583
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PR3B
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XY.V0Y
Entry Name: The Rock
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101384
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
4/473 The Rock
House on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa 1840-45, not depicted on the 1840
Black Hall estate map. Rendered stone rubble, rough rendered front blocked
out. Scantle slate U-shaped roof, hipped at front with deep eaves and with
2 gables at the back. Moulded cast iron gutters. 2 large rendered axial
stacks symmetrically situated at the back ridges and a kitchen stack over the
rear right hand gable.
Plan: Square double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms and a central
entrance passage which originally contained the stairs. Small service rooms
at the back, the kitchen to the right and pantry to the left. In the C20 the
stairs were moved from the passage to the back to left of centre, the pantry
subdivided to accommodate a lavatory and outshuts added at the rear.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay south front. The first floor has the
original early C19 16-pane sashes in exposed boxing; the ground floor windows
have been replaced with 12-pane sashes with horns. Central doorway with the
original 6-panel door, the bottom panels flush the middle panels glazed and
a 10-pane rectangular overlight; C19 open porch with slender granite columns
and pilasters supporting an entablature with a moulded cornice.
Right and left hand returns: 2 C19 16-pane sashes towards the back.
Interior: Left hand room has original simple white marble chimneypiece.
Right hand room has C20 tiled fireplace surround. Simple original C19 joinery
including 6-panel doors and panelled internal window shutters. C20 staircase
at back of passage.
Listing NGR: SX7152658326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings