This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3932 / 50°23'35"N
Longitude: -3.712 / 3°42'43"W
OS Eastings: 278406
OS Northings: 56210
OS Grid: SX784562
Mapcode National: GBR QL.PL2V
Mapcode Global: FRA 3830.9PK
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101333
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
The Old School
School, converted to house. 1848 and with extensions added in 1881,
converted into house circa mid to late C20. Slate rubble with granite
dressings. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof with stone coping to gable
ends with kneelers. Granite quoins. Tudor style.
Plan: Consists of main school room with entrance porch at left (north west)
end and with 1881 wings at opposite south east and at rear (north east).
Exterior: storey with later attic floor inserted. Symmetrical south
west front to main range. Projecting gabled tower at centre with tall
single light stair window with chamfered granit frame with 4-centred head
and hoodmould; clock in gable above. Large 5-light granite window either side
with 4-centred headed lights and hoodmould, the mullions replaced with
Left hand (north west) gable end has single storey gabled porch with
chamfered 4-centred headed granite doorway with hoodmould. Later first floor
windows flanking above with concrete hoodmoulds and ventilation lancet in
gable with pointed head and slate louvres; gable apex has ashlar base
of former bellcote.
At opposite south east end a wing added in 1881, slightly set back to
right of south west front with similar 3-light window probably reused from
original south east gable end. Also added in 1881 rear (north east) wing
has 3-light window with 4-centred headed lights.
Interior not inspected.
Note: Erected in 1848 by vicar of Harberton, Chancellor Martin, who added
the School House (qv).
Source: Kelly's Directory 1897.
Listing NGR: SX7840656210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings