This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3931 / 50°23'35"N
Longitude: -3.7127 / 3°42'45"W
OS Eastings: 278352
OS Northings: 56208
OS Grid: SX783562
Mapcode National: GBR QK.HRW0
Mapcode Global: FRA 3830.9DS
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101335
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
15/431 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Harbertonford was made into a separate ecclesiastical parish
in 1860. 1859-60 by J N Nottidge. Slate and local stone rubble with
freestone dressings. Slate roof with stone coping to gable ends with moulded
kneelers and stone apex crosses. Crested ridge tiles. The pyramidal chancel
roof has iron cross at apex. small moulded corbels in angles of transepts
and moulded stringcourse at sill level rising up to higher sill levels.
Buttress with set offs on south side of nave.
Plan: Cruciform plan consists of nave, apsidal end to chancel, north and
south transepts with spire of the crossing, a vestry in the south west angle
and a north porch. Gothic style with Early English and Decorated style
Exterior: 2-light decorated style north and south windows, west window of
south transept and east window of north transept, all without hoodmoulds.
3-light nave west window with intersecting tracery and 3-light north window
of north transept with trefoil tracery, both with hoodmoulds with head
stops. The south transept has 2 cusped lancets and 3-sided rose window in
the gable with mouchettes around a central trefoil. Contemporary lean-to
vestry in the south east angle with chancel with a moulded doorway on south
side and tall chimney stack at junction with transept, with shaft with
gabled cap and set offs. Row of 3 lancets on east side of vestry.
The 3-sided apse to changel has pairs of cusped lancets with hoodmoulds
with head stops. The chancel north window is similar but single lancet.
Gabled south porch with Early English style doorway with shafts, with moulded
capitals and deeply moulded high pointed arch with a hood mould; scissor
braced porch roof and inner doorway with plank foor with cover moulds.
At the crossing the intersecting roofs hve 3 large slated broaches on top
of which is an octagonal timber bellfry with lourvres, cusped arches and
brackets supporting an octagonal slated timber spire with an ornate iron
Interior: Scissor brace truss roofs to nave and north and south transepts
on ashlar posts supported on corbels. Boarded between ashlaring with frieze
of pierced trefoils. The crossing is spanned by a timber roof of straight
raters rising from small arch braces at the corners to an octagon which
carried the spire. The apsidal chancel roof has arch braces rising from
corbels and meeting at the apex, above which is a short king-post and
struts. The boarded ashlaring with frieze of trefoils continues in the
The apse windows have moulded shafts, stiff-lead capitals, cusped heads and
hoodmoulds with headstops and stiff-leaf carving. The only stained glass is
in the apse windows and appears to be contemporary and depicts scenes from
the lift of St Peter.
Contemporary furnishings largely complete including softwood benches, pulpit,
simple screen at west end and font. Organ dated 1886-7.
Plaque on south wall of nave "In memory of Thomasene Anthony of Great
Englebourne, who built and partly endowed this church in the year 1859".
Listing NGR: SX7835256208
Other nearby listed buildings