This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3919 / 50°23'30"N
Longitude: -3.7026 / 3°42'9"W
OS Eastings: 279068
OS Northings: 56051
OS Grid: SX790560
Mapcode National: GBR QL.PVW4
Mapcode Global: FRA 3840.FB2
Entry Name: Tailrace
Listing Date: 30 August 1988
Last Amended: 4 February 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101337
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
(Formerly listed as:
OUTBUILDING IMMEDIATELY EAST SOUTH EAS
T OF CROWDY MILL)
Former outbuilding, c.1840.
MATERIALS: The building is constructed of local rubble stone. There is a slate roof with gabled ends and clay ridge tiles. The lean-to extension has red brick quoins.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan and backs onto Harbourne River with small opening at lower level. There is a modest rectangular stone lean-to structure attached to the south.
EXTERIOR: A two storey building. The south-west front has two large ground floor doorways with timber lintels. Above the right hand doorway is a loft door. There is also a former loft door, now a window, in the north-west gable end. An earlier round gate-pier is incorporated into the north-west gable end below the window. The north-east front, facing the river, has a small window and has been raised at some stage. The attached lean-to structure to the south is single storey.
INTERIOR: Not Inspected (2009)
HISTORY: Mount Dart is not on the 1840 tithe map, but is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1888. Crowdy Mill itself is a late-C17/ early-C18 mill, possibly with earlier origins. The mill was enlarged circa 1840, which is probably when Tailrace was built as a barn or cart shed. The building was extended to the south in the C20. The building is currently in residential use.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION
Tailrace is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Although it has undergone sub-division, iterations and extensions, the building remains a characterful C19 former farm building.
* It has a strong group value with nearby associated listed buildings, including Crowdy Mill.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings