This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4017 / 50°24'6"N
Longitude: -3.6955 / 3°41'43"W
OS Eastings: 279600
OS Northings: 57129
OS Grid: SX796571
Mapcode National: GBR QL.P49P
Mapcode Global: FRA 374Z.Q3P
Entry Name: Luscombe Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101344
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Farmhouse. Circa early C17 with additions of 1778 and C19 and with late
C19 alterations. Rendered stone rubble. Steeply pitched asbestos slate
roof with gabled ends; south gable end has asbestos slate hanging. Lean-
to roof over outshut at lower right hand end and hipped roof to wing at
front of higher end. Rendered lateral gabled stack at rear with set offs.
Plan: Although it may be a rebuilding of an earlier house the existing
early C17 house comprises 2 large rooms and a central through passage, the
lower room to the right has gable end stack and the hall to the left is
heated from a rear lateral stack with an oven; the stack is integral with
a slightly projecting hall bay. At the higher end of the house set
forward slightly and narrower there is a dairy which may be all that
remains of the higher end of the putative earlier house. In 1778 a
parlour wing was added to the front of the dairy overlapping the higher
end of the hall with a straight staircase at the junction. the outshut at
the front of this wring and the outshut with a loft above at the lower end
are probably C19 additions. The house was refurbished in the late C19
including refenestration, the insertion of a second straight staircase
against the front wall of the lower right hand room and the blocking of
the back of the passage by creating a small square room, possibly a
pantry, which was partly taken out of the lower room by the removal of
the partition at the back of the passage.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular but not symmetrical 3:1 window range. First
floor 2-light casements and ground floor 3-light casements, all late C19
with horizontal glazing bars. First floor right a smaller late C19 or C20
3-light casement. Doorway to former passage at centre of the 3-window
section has a C20 glazed door and a late C19 or early C20 wooden lattice
porch. C19 plank door to right concealed by later outbuilding. All the
windows and doorways have wooden lintels. A doorway into the outshut
at the right end with a loft doorway above. Wing at right angles to left
has late C19 3-light casement on each floor on inner face with a slate
datestone inscribed 1778 over the ground floor window and a lean-to
outbuilding on the end of the wing.
Rear elevation: The right hand higher end projects slightly as a hall
bay incorporating a rear lateral stack with weathering, set offs and a
rendered shaft; the ground floor window in the hall bay to the right has a
slate hoodmould. The window at the centre was formerly the back doorway
of the passage which has similar to the window above and ovolo moulded
timber lintel with run-out stops. The windows on the ground and first
floors to the lower left end have stopped chamfered timber lintels. All
the rear windows are circa late C19 2 and 3-light casements with
horizontal glazing bars.
Interior: The hall has a fireplace in the rear lateral stack with ovolo
moulded wooden lintel with ogee stops and dressed slate jambs; and
chamfered cross-beams, the stops either buried in the walls or removed.
The lower right hand room has chamfered cross-beams with ogee or hollow
step stops and the fireplace at the lower end is blocked. Section of
the plank and muntin screen between the passage and lower room is
plastered over but its chamfered head-beam is exposed. The partition
between the hall and the passage has one jamb of a C17 ovolo and hollow
moulded door frame. Straight flight of stairs in the C18 has a balustrade
at the top with splat balusters and stop chamfered square newel with a
ball finial. 2 fielded 2-panel doors at the bottom of this staircase
and some more fielded 2-panel doors on the first floor. Various C19
panelled doors elsewhere in the house.
Roof: Roof entirely replaced in the late C20 except for the feet of the
principals at the higher end which remain resting on the wall plate.
Listing NGR: SX7960057129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings