History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Harberton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3933 / 50°23'36"N

Longitude: -3.7139 / 3°42'50"W

OS Eastings: 278269

OS Northings: 56232

OS Grid: SX782562

Mapcode National: GBR QK.HRL4

Mapcode Global: FRA 3830.8Y5

Entry Name: The Mills

Listing Date: 26 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101355

Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Harberton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Harberton

Listing Text

HARBERTON
SX7856-SX7956
15/445 WOODLAND ROAD
HARBERTONFORD
The Mills

II

Woollen mill, later used as a corn and starch manufactury (White's
Directory 1850), now occupied by agricultural merchants. Circa late c18 or
early C19, reputedly 1789. Slate rubble. Slate hung on south side except
for ground storey. Asbestos slate roof, gabled at west end and hipped at
south east end. Slate hung end and axial stacks and rendered lateral
stack.
Plan: Long rectangular range with shorter wing at west end at obtuse
angle. At the east end of, and integral with, the longer east range, is
the office and managers house. The shorter west range has open floors with
loading doors to each floor. The top floor was completely open from end to
end continuing without partitions over the manager's accommodation and
office. Axial stack to house and office, lateral stack to front of main
range and gable end stack at left (west) end.
Exterior: 3 storeys at east end a 4 storeys at west end, but roof the same
height. Asymmetrical approximately 8-window range. Some old casements
with glazing bars, some old windows with lapped glass panes. All the
windows to the right hand east end of north front replaced with C20
casements, except for ground floor right which is an early to mid C19
French window with glazing bars and margin panes. The left hand range has
wide loading doors on each floor with hoist above. Doorway on east end
with semi-circular fanlight, and round-headed window to left, both with
radial glazing bars.
Windows on the outer north side have segmental brick arches, those to right
(west) have iron bars but are now clad in corrugated iron. Most of the
windows to left (east) are C20 replacements.
Interior: The roof has bolted softwood trusses. The ground storey of west
end has floor beams supported on iron posts which are said to have come
from later adjacent mill building, probably when that building was reduced
in height. Office has early C19 moulded chimneypiece and plaster ceiling
cornice.


Listing NGR: SX7826956232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.