This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.446 / 50°26'45"N
Longitude: -3.7051 / 3°42'18"W
OS Eastings: 279033
OS Northings: 62078
OS Grid: SX790620
Mapcode National: GBR QL.L7W6
Mapcode Global: FRA 374W.0F1
Entry Name: Textile Mill Including Bridge Immediately South South East
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101067
Location: Dartington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartington
Built-Up Area: Dartington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
DARTINGTON SHINNER'S BRIDGE
SX7962 Textile Mill
12/486 South East
Textile mill. 1930-1 by Oswald P Milne for Dartington Hall. Local
limestone rubble with dressed quoins and some weatherboarding. Delabole
slate roof with gabled ends.
Plan: Rectangular plan with entrance at SE end under hoist house, and
water wheel on SW side facing Birdwell Brook.
Exterior; 2 storey and loft. The south east gable end has weatherboarding
and gable hoist house to loft supported on 2 tall stone piers with caps, to
left of which is flight of integral stone steps to first floor doorway now
enclosed in glazed porch; 3-light casements to left and right. Long 5-
window south west elevation with 5-light windows and north west gable end
has 3 windows on first floor and 2 on ground with doorway on left and
ventilation slit in gable. All metal frame casements with glazing bars,
relieving arches and slate cills.
Overshot water wheel and long wooden launder on SW side. Including bridge
to SE over Birdwell Brook; coeval with mill and by O P Milne; local
limestone rubble with single span round arch with dressed limestone arch
ring and cambered parapet swept out at ends.
NOTE: An Irish weaver Heremon (Toby) Fitzpatrick was invited to Dartington
in 1927 to set up a workshop. Although he believed in hand weaving he
advocated machine prepared yarn and consequently this mill was built. He
was replaced by Hiran Winterbotham in 1934.
SOURCE: V Bonham-Carter, Dartington Hall 1925-56 (Dartington Hall archive)
Listing NGR: SX7903362078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings