This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3965 / 50°23'47"N
Longitude: -3.6857 / 3°41'8"W
OS Eastings: 280284
OS Northings: 56532
OS Grid: SX802565
Mapcode National: GBR QM.WDTT
Mapcode Global: FRA 3850.1XW
Entry Name: Rabbit Warren Walls Immediately South East of Painsford Mill
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100959
Location: Ashprington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Ashprington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashprington St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
6/50 Rabbit Warren Walls
Immediately South East
of Painsford Mill
Rabbit warren boundary walls. C18 or much earlier. Local dressed slate
rubble walls enclosing an irregular field on the hillside which drops down to
a meadow to the north. The walls on the east and west ends are most complete.
Here they are coursed horizontally inspite of being built on a steep slope and
rise to about 1.75 metres high and have their original copping which has a
slate course cantilevered out on the inside to prevent the rabbits from
escaping. The south wall at the top of the slope has its top courses missing
and is breached at the centre. The north wall at the bottom in the meadow has
been reduced to less than half its original height.
In the north east corner there is a disused small quarry from which the slate
must have been obtained.
A conveyance of 1801 mentions the rabbit warren and the building of the bridge
immediately north ((qv) Bridge about 75 meters south east of Painsford Mill),
therefore the rabbit warren was definitely in existence in 1801.
Source: Information from the owner of Painsford Mill (1987).
Listing NGR: SX8028456530
Other nearby listed buildings