History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Yeatson

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashprington, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3956 / 50°23'44"N

Longitude: -3.6768 / 3°40'36"W

OS Eastings: 280914

OS Northings: 56426

OS Grid: SX809564

Mapcode National: GBR QM.WH32

Mapcode Global: FRA 3850.5DS

Entry Name: Lower Yeatson

Listing Date: 26 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108400

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100944

Location: Ashprington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Ashprington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashprington St David

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashsprington

Listing Text

ASHPRINGTON
BOW
SX85NW
6/35
Lower Yeatson

II

Farmhouse. Dated 1833. Local stone rubble with red brick window dressings.
Scantle slate roof with gabled ends and deep eaves at the front. Brick stacks
over the gable ends.
Plan: Double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms and a narrow entrance
hall at the centre leading to the stairs at the back. The services are in
rooms at the back behind the principal rooms.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-bay front with original 16-pane
sashed with flat red brick arches and jambs and stone sills. Central doorway
with C19 glazed and panelled door in a moulded frame, and a C20 glazed porch
set on a flight of slate steps.
At the rear an original central round-headed stair window; is is a sash with
radial glazing bars in the head; and original 3-light casement windows with
glazing bars.
The left hand gable end has a round attic window with radiating glazing bars.
Interior: Only the hall was inspected . It has a deeply moulded ceiling
cornice and 6-panel doors. The staircase at the back has stick balusters and
a moulded mahogany handrail. A mould plaster panel over the stair window is
inscribed "Thomas Edmonds 1833".
Kelly's Directory of 1856 lists Thomas Hunt Edmonds of Fore Street, Totnes as
a solicitor. He appears to have built Lower Yeatson when upgrading Yeatson
House (qv) for his own use.


Listing NGR: SX8091456426

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.