History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in South Huish, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2556 / 50°15'19"N

Longitude: -3.8317 / 3°49'54"W

OS Eastings: 269519

OS Northings: 41112

OS Grid: SX695411

Mapcode National: GBR QC.TKD7

Mapcode Global: FRA 28VC.51S

Entry Name: Ruins of Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100800

Location: South Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ7

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: South Huish

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Malborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hope-Cove

Listing Text

SOUTH HUISH SOUTH HUISH VILLAGE
SX 64 SE
4/103 Ruins of Church of St Andrew
26.1.67

the grade shall be amended to read: II*(star)

------------------------------------

SOUTH HUISH SOUTH HUISH VILLAGE
SX 64 SE
4/103 Ruins of Church of St. Andrew
26.1.67
II

Ruined parish church. C13, C14 and C15, abandoned in 1866. Slatestone rubble
walls.
Plan: nave and chancel are the oldest parts to which a C14 tower was added at the
west end, and the north transept possibly at the same time. In the C15 a south
aisle and porch were built. In 1866 the Vicar of West Alvington with its
dependent chapels decided that the church was not worth restoration. All its
fittings were sold, including the medieval screen which was taken to Bowringsleigh
House in West Alvington (q.v.). The arcade to the south aisle was removed to
Dodbrooke church in the early C20.
Exterior: the church is now roofless but the walls are largely intact although
less so to the transept. The stonework of the west tower is much eroded, it has a
blocked C15 4-centred arched west doorway with mutilated Perpendicular window
above. On the north wall of the nave is a C13 lancet opening with the framework
gone. The chancel has 2 similar windows, that on the south side opening into the
aisle and still with its stone framework. Granite Perpendicular windows to south
aisleend at east end of church. Single storey south porch with dressed rubble
roundheaded doorway of South Hams type. Inner south doorway has 4-centred
chamfered stone head which blocks a former window opening in that wall. Internally
the church has been completely stripped and has few features.

Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Woodleigh


Listing NGR: SX6951941112

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.