This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3971 / 50°23'49"N
Longitude: -3.6054 / 3°36'19"W
OS Eastings: 285990
OS Northings: 56475
OS Grid: SX859564
Mapcode National: GBR QR.GHCB
Mapcode Global: FRA 38B0.36N
Entry Name: Sandridge Park
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100657
Location: Stoke Gabriel, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Gabriel
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Gabriel St Gabriel
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 85 NE STOKE GABRIEL
8/111 Sandridge Park
Country house in landscaped grounds overlooking River Dart. Built in 1805.
Architect John Nash for Lady Ashburton. Italianate style. Stuccoed stone
rubble. Low pitched slate hipped roof with wide eaves with paired brackets to
soffit. Asymmetrical plan. Two storeys, with two storey plus attic towers.
2:3:1 bays. Round-headed sash windows with glazing bars. Central three-bay
segmentally bowed ground floor bay with wooden trelliswork once continued left
and right around the house. Right hand (east) square tower of two storeys and
attic with a low-pitched pyramidal roof. Left hand (west) set back with round
end rising to a two storey and attic round tower with a low-pitched conical roof
and elliptical attic window.
Rendered brick octagonal chimney stacks.
Service wing set back to north east, built round courtyard at rear (north). The
round-arched carriageway through to courtyard area is a C20 alteration. Before
there was a conservatory on the south front of the service wing (NMR). Over the
north end of the wing a turret with steeply pitched tent-shaped roof, pilastered
corners and louvred bullseyes.
Interior: Circular entrance hall (now dining room) with blind arcaded walls and
vaulted entrance corridor. Simple open string staircase with straight balusters
and wreathed handrail, and with lantern over the upper landing. Many of the
original features survive including moulded marble chimney pieces one with
Egyptian style pilasters, and original joinery including doors and shutters etc.
Sandridge was held by the Sandridges under the Bishop of Exeter in Henry II's
reign. It was sold by the Gilberts, of Compton Castle qv, in 1770 to 'the first
Lord Ashburton who built the present house.
Reference: H Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, page 583.
Plans were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1805.
Listing NGR: SX8599056475
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings