History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waddeton Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Gabriel, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3996 / 50°23'58"N

Longitude: -3.5857 / 3°35'8"W

OS Eastings: 287400

OS Northings: 56730

OS Grid: SX874567

Mapcode National: GBR QS.N8DL

Mapcode Global: FRA 37CZ.YQ4

Entry Name: Waddeton Court

Listing Date: 21 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108502

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100681

Location: Stoke Gabriel, South Hams, Devon, TQ5

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Stoke Gabriel

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Stoke Gabriel St Gabriel

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Dittisham

Listing Text

SX 85 NE STOKE GABRIEL WADDETON

8/136 Waddeton Court

-

- II

Large country house, near site of earlier house, in landscaped gardens overlooking
River Dart. Built in 1829 with circa mid C19 extension at rear (north). Tudor
style. Dressed local grey limestone with freestone dressings. Slate roof with
gabled ends with mould bargeboards, finials and crested ridge. Two storeys and
attic. 2:1:2 bays. Centre projecting and gabled. Two-light ovolo moulded stone
mullion windows with hood moulds, centre ground floor four-light and first floor
three-lights with cusped heads. Similar small single-light attic window in gable
above. Large circa mid C19 wing to rear (north) with principal east elevation
gabled left and right, with projecting gable to left with gabled porch. Plain
stone chimney stacks at ridge. Interior not inspected
but is said to contain "some good specimens of ancient carving" (Kelly's Directory
of Devon, 1883, page 410). This may refer to the remains of manor house qv which
are situated to north. Waddeton Court is the seat of the Studdy family, and Henry
Studdy was the founder of the Royal Dart Yacht Club in 1866 when it had club rooms
in the Royal Dart Hotel qv, until its own premises were built in 1881.


Listing NGR: SX8740056730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.