This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2704 / 50°16'13"N
Longitude: -3.7553 / 3°45'19"W
OS Eastings: 275005
OS Northings: 42626
OS Grid: SX750426
Mapcode National: GBR QJ.KDZ4
Mapcode Global: FRA 3809.YM2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100698
Location: Charleton, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Charleton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Charleton with Buckland-Tout-Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHARLETON CHARLETON (WEST)
SX 74 SE
6/3 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. C15 heavily restored in 1849 - 50. Slatestone rubble walls;
windows largely of Caen stone. Gabled slate roofs.
Plan: nave, north aisle, south transept, chapel and porch, and west tower. The
church appears to be basically C15 throughout but in a heavy restoration of 1849-
50 the nave and aisle were apparently largely rebuilt and most of the windows
Exterior: simple 3-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses. The crenellated
parapet is set on a corbel table. 2-light roundarched belfry openings. Simple
2-centred arched west doorway with restored 3-light window above and probably
original single arched light on 2nd stage of tower. Rectangular stair projection
on north side. North aisle has 4 bays of restored Perpendicular style windows
with buttresses between. 5-sided rood stair turret with conical stone roof. C19
vestry under catslide roof on north side of chancel. Chancel has a lower roofline
and a restored 4-light window at its east end and 2 2-light windows to the south
with a priest's doorway between. Transept has a restored 3-light window on its
end wall and there are 2 more on the nave wall which, however, are in a C14 style
with reticulated tracery. Large single storey gabled porch probably a complete
C19 rebuild with pointed rubble arch.
Interior: simple 4-centred chamfered south doorway. 4 bay granite arcade of
Pevsner A-type piers with cup capitals and moulded 4-centred arches. Simple 4-
centred voussoir tower arch. C19 arches to transept, chancel and chapel.
Cinquefoiled piscina in transept and squint to chancel with ogee arch above. On
the north chancel is a 2-seat granite sedilia with cinquefoiled heads. Internal
walls are rendered and joint-lined apart from the plastered chancel and exposed
stonework at the west end. The fittings are all Victorian and the octagonal font,
pulpit and desk are also of Caen stone.
Source: S.P. Fox: Kingsbridge and Its Surroundings
Listing NGR: SX7500542626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings