This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4626 / 50°27'45"N
Longitude: -3.7007 / 3°42'2"W
OS Eastings: 279384
OS Northings: 63909
OS Grid: SX793639
Mapcode National: GBR QL.K8Z7
Mapcode Global: FRA 374T.VFG
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100629
Location: Staverton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Staverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Staverton with Landscove
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 SE STAVERTON
4/83 Church of St Paul
Parish church. Circa early C14 largely reconstructed, apart from the circa West
tower, in C15. Restored C18. Stone rubble, partly rendered slate roofs. Nave
and chancel in one. Long north and south aisle. North aisle has stair turret
to rood loft, with blocked elliptically arched doorway and C19 geometric traceried
windows. South aisle has C19 plate-traceried windows, two Perpendicular windows
and C15/16 priest door. Hollow-chamfered two-centred arch south doorway. Two-
storeyed south porch with round undressed arch and parapet on corbels with moulded
battlement. The north and south aisles have thin buttresses with set offs. Chancel
has C19 five-light east window and early to mid C14 three-light south window with
star tracery. Circa C13 west two unbuttressed and with slight batter in two stages
with stringcourse half way up. Embattled parapet. Two-light bell openings, polygonal
stair turret on northside and chamfered two-centred arch west doorway with C19
window above. Interior; four bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers
moulded capitals with fleurons and moulded two-centred arches. Nave has unceiled
wagon roof of 1881 replacing the original wagon roof. North and south aisles
have ceiled wagon roofs with carved bosses. Good C15 rood and parclose screens
largely rebuilt in 1891, one panel is painted. C19 seating, the choir stalls
have carved poppeyheads. C18 octagonal pulpit with fielded panels and carved
swags on the corners and putti above the panels. Reading desk made from carved
Jacobean panelling. C19 octagonal font. Royal Arms of 1692. Monuments: Worth
family 1629 in north aisle formerly Worth Chapel, two kneeling figures with eight
kneeling children above. Wall monuments to Edward Bovey 1714; Thomas Rowe 1729.
Edward Bovey 1811; Thomas Baradridge 1815 and a brass wall plaque to Margarett
References:- John Stabb, Devon Church Antiquities, Vol 1, pp 125 and 129.
John Stabb, Some Old Devon Churches, Vol 1, pp 118 to 120.
B J Cresswell, Note on Devon Churches, Deanery of Totnes, pages 249
Listing NGR: SX7938263911
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings