History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Staverton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4851 / 50°29'6"N

Longitude: -3.7287 / 3°43'43"W

OS Eastings: 277452

OS Northings: 66455

OS Grid: SX774664

Mapcode National: GBR QK.9V34

Mapcode Global: FRA 372S.350

Entry Name: Hill House

Listing Date: 21 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100649

Location: Staverton, South Hams, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Staverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Staverton with Landscove

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Woodland

Listing Text

SX 76 NE STAVERTON LANDSCOVE

2/104 Hill House

-

- II

Former vicarage, now a private house. Circa 1850. Possibly designed by J L Pearson
who designed the Church of St Matthew qv in 1849-50. Tudor style. Stone rubble
with stone dressings and later rendering. South west side has later slate hanging.
Slate roof with stone-coped gables with small stone finials. Asymmetrical plan and
elevations. Two storeys. North east entrance front has twin-gabled wing to right
hand with stack on the larger gable with set-offs and chamfered two-centred arch
doorway to side. Large 4-centred arch stair window in wing to right and stack on
the corner also with set-offs. Two gables to south east front with a stack rising
from the side of the smaller gable. Slate hung south west side with 2 gables and
an external stack to left-hand with set-offs. Stone mullion - transom windows with
4-centred arch lights and iron casements with leaded panes. Contemporary interior
including staircase and stonechimney-pieces with depressed moulded two-centred
arches. Formerly the home of Edward Hyams, C20 gardener, who planted this garden.


Listing NGR: SX7745266455

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.