This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3484 / 50°20'54"N
Longitude: -3.5724 / 3°34'20"W
OS Eastings: 288223
OS Northings: 51016
OS Grid: SX882510
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RKSY
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.XRJ
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100571
Location: Kingswear, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Kingswear
Built-Up Area: Kingswear
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingswear
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8851 KINGSWEAR CHURCH HILL
15/28 Church of St Thomas of
Parish church since 1837, before which it was a Chapel of Ease from St Mary's Brixham.
C14 tower of slate rubble is all that remains of the medieval (early C13)
church. The remainder rebuilt in 1847 by J Hayward of Exeter in local limestone
rubble with freestone dressings in a Decorated style. Slate roofs. Nave and
chancel is one and south aisle with two-light north and south windows, four-light
west windows and three-light east windows all in Decorated style, gabled south
porch with moulded arch doorway. Hood moulds have carved head stops. Short C14
west tower on west end of north side of existing nave, with embattled parapet
slightly corbelled on coved string. Late C19 lancet bell-openings, north window
and clock face, and diagonal buttresses at base. Early C20 vestry in Arts and
Crafts style on west side of tower incorporating some old wall on south side,
and early C20 organ chamber on north side of chancel. Interior: four-bay south
arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered two-centred
arches. Nave and aisle roofs have arched braces to collars, on carved and angel
corbels, king-posts over the collars and two tiers of wind braces. Early C20
Arts and Craft mbulded arch to organ chamber on north side of chancel. Carved
wooden pulpit and Arts and Crafts choir stalls and seating are of 1921. C15
octagonal font, with cusped quatrefoils containing shields, in poor condition.
Coffin lid of circa late C13. Some C18 tombs slabs on floor of nave. In the
porch there is a framed drawing of the church dated 1841 (before the rebuilding
of 1847). Reference: B F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Ipplepen
pages 159 to 164.
Listing NGR: SX8822351016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings