History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wembury House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wembury, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3245 / 50°19'28"N

Longitude: -4.0648 / 4°3'53"W

OS Eastings: 253120

OS Northings: 49207

OS Grid: SX531492

Mapcode National: GBR NZ.XZQW

Mapcode Global: FRA 28C5.Q8D

Entry Name: Wembury House

Listing Date: 23 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108590

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100473

Location: Wembury, South Hams, Devon, PL9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Wembury

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Wembury

Listing Text

SX 54 NW WEMBURY
8/194
23/4/52 Wembury House

GV II*


Country house in landscaped garden, built on the site of a late C16 house. 1803. Stone rubble formerly rendered and with ashlar dressings and ashlar basement. Parapet with plain stone coping and string courses. Rusticated stone quoins. Slate hipped roof. Two storeys, attic and basement. Five bays. Large sash windows with glazing bars, in moulded stone architraves. Central doorway with large rectangular fanlight. fielded panel double doors and porch with slender Tuscan columns and entablature with cast iron balcony. Deep basement area in front with plain iron railings. One bay set back to left hand (north). East garden front also five bays, and with niches either side of central ground floor window.
Interior: Relatively plain interior is virtually unaltered and retains its original joinery, plasterwork, chimneypieces and staircase etc. The house was built for Thomas Lockyer in 1803-6 on the site of a great mansion of Sir John Hele which was demolished to build a late C17 or early C18 house which in turn has been replaced by the present house. Sir John Hele bought the estate in 1592 and built what was reputedly an enormous house of which only the wall to the west q.v. survives. There is a drawing (by Edmund Prideaux) of Wembury House, dated 1716, depicting a late C17/early C18 house. It was then the seat of John Pollexfen. The drawing is now at Prideaux Place, Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX5312049207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.