This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9625 / 50°57'45"N
Longitude: -2.3809 / 2°22'51"W
OS Eastings: 373346
OS Northings: 118190
OS Grid: ST733181
Mapcode National: GBR 0WH.JWD
Mapcode Global: FRA 56XK.L81
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102324
Location: Stalbridge, North Dorset, Dorset, DT10
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Stalbridge
Built-Up Area: Stalbridge
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Stalbridge St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 7318 STALBRIDGE CHURCH HILL (WEST SIDE)
6/10 (21/1) CHURCH OF ST MARY
Parish Church. Nave, arcades and remains of North trancept late C14, North chapel
and chancel arcade early C16, North aisle 1838, tower 1868, chancel, old vestry
and other restoration 1878. Tower by Rev Henry Boucher, 1878 work by T H Wyatt.
Walls partially of dressed, squared and coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings and
partially of coursed rubble. Nave roof slated, chapel and vestry roofs tiled.
Nave with North and South aisles (North aisle incorporating former North trancept);
South trancept; South porch with tower over; Chancel with North chapel and former
vestry to South. Vestry arcade and entrance to South arcade now blocked and
converted to parish room. Generally in perpendicular style with north chapel
and former vestry in its C16 variant. South front has castellated tower of 4
stages over porch with diagonal stepped butresses, crocketted pinnacles and
slightly projecting ashlar stair tower. Porch has moulded ogee arch with label
having floriated finial and stops; 2nd stage has panelled tracery window under
2-centred arch; 3rd stage has clock; 4th stage has 2 lancets to bell loft and
attached pinnacles to butresses. Apart from former vestry and North chapel which
have mainly square headed cusped and uncusped windows with square labels windows
are generally of panel tracery under 2-centred arches-with cinqufoiled lights.
Remains of earlier window in East facade of North chapel. Internally 4-bay C14
nave arcades; 3-bay C16 chancel arcade and North chapel arch with carved winged
figures in capitals and former rood-vice doorway in respond; C14 piscina in
South trancept. Wagon roofs to nave, chancel and North trancept; angled wagon
roof to South trancept; flat ribbed roof to North chapel and aisle; sloping
ribbed roof on corbels to South aisle. Possibly medieval timbers above existing
ceiling. Various monuments including late C15 or early C16 table tomb with
cadaver effigy. Early C13 front. Pulpit, screen and most fittings C19. RCHM
'Dorset Vol III', HMSO 1970, p247-249; Newman J and Pevsner, 'Buildings of
England: Dorset', Penguin 1972, p395-396; Jones, Irene 'A Short History of
Stalbridge and St Mary's Church' n.d.
Listing NGR: ST7334618190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings