This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8559 / 50°51'21"N
Longitude: -2.1645 / 2°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 388516
OS Northings: 106273
OS Grid: ST885062
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZG.CKY
Mapcode Global: FRA 66CV.0KN
Entry Name: 18 and 20, Market Place
Listing Date: 27 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102209
Location: Blandford Forum, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Blandford Forum
Built-Up Area: Blandford Forum
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Blandford Forum St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
865 MARKET PLACE
Nos 18 & 20
ST 8806 1/60 27.10.50.
Architechts: the Bastards of Blandford. One of two somewhat similar 3-storey
5-window fronts. Built as the Red Lion Inn. The Public House now occupies
a much smaller building behind. The front is of the usual brickwork. The central
bay has a yard entry on the ground floor, flanked by stone piers which support
the bases of 2 stone pilasters carrying an open pediment. The pilasters have
unique Composite caps with acanthus ornament and volutes turned inwards. There
is a heavily enriched modillion cornice, The central 2nd floor window is round-headed
and above it, in the tympanum of the pediment, is a foliated cartouche on which
is a heraldic lion on relief, The sash windows have triple keystones and brick
apron. 2 windows, above shop of No 18 have been altered. This shop-front,
probably late C19, is comparatively seemly. That of No 20 ((Messrs Blanford and
Webb) has elaborate carving, cresting, pediment, vases, etc, and competes with
the facade. See "The Bastards of Blandford by John Adams, Architectural Review"
All the listed buildings in Market Place, and Nos 59 to 73 (odd) East Street,
Conyer's Filling Station, Nos 1 to 7 (odd), Nos 2 to 8 (even) and No 12 West
Street, and Church of St Peter and St Paul form a group.
Listing NGR: ST8851006271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings