This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8572 / 50°51'25"N
Longitude: -2.1622 / 2°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 388680
OS Northings: 106416
OS Grid: ST886064
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZH.06H
Mapcode Global: FRA 66CT.TQQ
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 27 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102135
Location: Blandford Forum, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Blandford Forum
Built-Up Area: Blandford Forum
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Blandford Forum St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
865 THE CLOSE
The Old House
ST 8806 1/8 27.10.50.
This house is something of a curiosity and the fact that it was one of the few
houses to escape the fire of 1731 gives it an additional interest. It was built
about the middle of the C17 by Dr Sagittary - a native of the Palatinate, who
held English medical degrees and practised in Blandford. This origin may explain
its Germanic character. Dr Sagittary died in 1696. L-shaped 2-storey red brick
house with projecting porch wing at front. The roof, the lower part of which
has stone slates, is hipped and steeply pitched. Lead flat to porch wing. The
wide eaves soffit is supported on heavy shaped brackets of oak. Hipped dormers.
The 2 chinmeys are octagonal on square bases and each has 8 circular attached
shafts with moulded brick bases and cappings. The Eastern part of the house
is of rusticated brickwork and there is a moulded brick eaves cornice. Over
the round-headed doorway, which has rusticated brick voussoirs, there are designs
in cut brickwork and a moulded niche. All this work is said to have been done
in situ. Windows are leaded casements with moulded oak frames and mullions,
Those to East part of house having transoms also. There was formerly a contemporary
staircase and other carved woodwork internally, but these were removed to Scot;and,
where they were destroyed by fire.
Listing NGR: ST8868006416
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings