This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0038 / 51°0'13"N
Longitude: -2.2044 / 2°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 385751
OS Northings: 122728
OS Grid: ST857227
Mapcode National: GBR 1XH.TSG
Mapcode Global: FRA 668G.H04
Entry Name: St Edwards Chantry
Listing Date: 20 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101983
Location: Shaftesbury, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Shaftesbury
Built-Up Area: Shaftesbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Shaftesbury and Enmore Green St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
St Edward's Chantry
ST 8522 6/101 20.6.52
(Formerly St John's Cottage). Stone ashlar with tiled roofs. 2 1-storey
buildings, probably of early C19 date, linked together by later barrel-vaulting.
Modern 2-storey block to South, and other additions. East front has central
gabled porch and mullioned and transomed windows, 2 windows to left of
porch and one to right hand. Internally the porch and the room South of
it have carved stonework of Gothic design and probably of C19 origin.
The dining room has re-set panelling, some dated 1600 and some 1620. There
are some mullioned and transomed windows;, and also some elaborately carved
doors said to have come from Fonthill Abbey. South front has too large
three-sided bays projecting through both storeys. Graded II on account
of interior features.
Listing NGR: ST8575122728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings