History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The County Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7234 / 50°43'24"N

Longitude: -1.8684 / 1°52'6"W

OS Eastings: 409385

OS Northings: 91536

OS Grid: SZ093915

Mapcode National: GBR X8K.9H

Mapcode Global: FRA 67Z5.FXN

Entry Name: The County Court

Listing Date: 12 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101929

Location: Bournemouth, BH1

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: Central

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Winton

Listing Text

SZ 0991 STAFFORD ROAD
(East Side)

The County Court
20/182

II

County Court. 1908-14 by F W Lacey (Borough Surveyor) and H A Collins. Red
brick in Flemish bond and Portland stone ashlar; graduated slate roof. 2
Storeys, 11 bays. In Edwardian Baroque style. Symmetrical facade, bays 2 and
10 breaking forward and of ashlar, bays 1 and 11 recessed and with lower
cornices. Ashlar dressings include: plinth, the lower portion rock-faced;
chanelled angle pilasters; portal; architraves; eaves band to bays 1 and 11
(returned); and cornice. 7-bay centrepiece has: steps up to projecting portal
with double-door flanked by narrow windows and with foundation stone to right
dated 1912 and bearing legend "FIAT JUSTITIA"; Ionic pilasters support full
entablature with royal coat-of-arms in broken semi-circular pediment; flag-pole;
12-pane sashes in architraves with cornices and keystones. Flanking bays each
have a full-height recessed archway in which are set the windows, those on
ground floor pedimented. Outer bays are blind on ground floor with tripled
sashes at eaves and are under separate hipped roofs. Main roof is hipped with
central Ionic copper cupola and corniced ashlar stacks flanking cupola and at
ends, all in front roof pitch.
Interior: entrance hall has terazzo floor, attached pilasters, dentilled
cornice to compartmented ceiling, and stained glass to windows. From it rises
imperial stone stair with moulded wooden hand rail and decorative panels to iron
balustrade; large Venetian-style stair window has Ionic pilasters and swags over
central window; at head of stairs, Venetian-style archway and royal coat-of-arms
to balustrade.
Linked mid C20 extension to south not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SZ0938591536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.