History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Throop United Reformed Church and Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Throop and Muscliff, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7633 / 50°45'47"N

Longitude: -1.8495 / 1°50'58"W

OS Eastings: 410712

OS Northings: 95977

OS Grid: SZ107959

Mapcode National: GBR XBX.HB

Mapcode Global: FRA 7702.9UZ

Entry Name: Throop United Reformed Church and Sunday School

Listing Date: 27 February 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108843

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101795

Location: Bournemouth, BH9

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: Throop and Muscliff

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Holy Epiphany

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Hurn

Listing Text

1.
5186 MUSCLIFFE LANE
(North Side)
Throop United Reformed Church
and Sunday School
SZ l095 24/227

II

2.
18l9, originally Congregational. Stucco front, Regency Gothic, with 3 windows
to gallery of Y-tracery, over Victorian lean-to narthex with gabled doorway.
Single-storey annexe with doorway and another Y-tracery window. Sides have 2
tiers of uniform Y-tracery window in whitewashed brick, bars of Y-timber, horizontal bars iron. Attached at rear and at right-angles, Sunday School of 1830, rebuilt and enlarged 1860 in red-brick Italian-medieval: pedimental gable with notched brick outline, walls with vitrified headers, windows on flank round-arched and in pairs, separated by pilaster strips. Annexe at right-angles with round-arched pair and 'porthole' in gable. Interior of chapel unspoilt: walls pale blue, windows deeply splayed, thin cornice, deep coving to ceiling outlined by roll-moulding. West gallery with panelled front (pilasters and coved cornice) on 2 chamfered columns. East wall has tripartite panel with arched centre, no doubt originally for Creed and Commandments. Victorian pews, pitchpine.


Listing NGR: SZ1071295977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.