History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burlington

A Grade II Listed Building in Boscombe West, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7226 / 50°43'21"N

Longitude: -1.8423 / 1°50'32"W

OS Eastings: 411225

OS Northings: 91458

OS Grid: SZ112914

Mapcode National: GBR XD0.D0

Mapcode Global: FRA 7715.D2N

Entry Name: Burlington

Listing Date: 27 February 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108846

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101804

Location: Bournemouth, BH5

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: Boscombe West

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St John the Evangelist, Boscombe

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Boscombe

Listing Text

1
5186 OWLS ROAD
(South Side)
No 9
(Burlington)
SZ 1191 22/242

II

2.
1893, T E Collcut, as the Burlington Hotel (now flats). Designed on the American
model of self-contained family suites, and visually also much influenced by America
(H H Richardson). 4 storeys, centre and splayed wings (suntrap plan), red brick,
plaster dressings, hipped roofs of flat-topped pantiles, short chimneys with
vertical ribs and cornices. Round-arched ground floor to centre: entrance arch
flanked by Tuscan columns and bull's eye windows, 8 other arches of brick with
pargetted soffits on stepped-out brick corbels, framing 4-light mullioned windows
with 2 transoms, arches all connected by decorative pargetted Renaissance-type
arabesque frieze and cornice. 1st and 2nd floors red brick, 17 windows wide
with 4 pilasters and stringcourses, plaster band connecting 1st floor lintels,
pargetted capitals and frieze supporting 2nd floor eaves. 3rd floor half-timber,
recessed behind brief hipped roof, forming frieze of windows under far-projecting
eaves of main hipped roof, central raised pediment of pargetting and half-timber,
over 3-bay Tuscan loggia between circular brick turrets with copper domes. At
each end of central block, circular brick turret to 3 upper floors on bulgy plaster
corbelling, roofed conically in tile, recessed next to it big circular staircase
tower with narrow stepped windows and top clerestory, under copper dome with
lantern. Splayed wings, canted inwards to towers, have similar elevations to
centre, red brick 1st and 2nd floors and half-timber 3rd, with conical end turrets
this time carried down to ground, same towards sea. Centre towards totally different:
stepped downwards in terraces with continuous balustrades of chinoiserie pattern,
3rd all plaster.


Listing NGR: SZ1122591458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.