This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7204 / 50°43'13"N
Longitude: -1.8749 / 1°52'29"W
OS Eastings: 408927
OS Northings: 91204
OS Grid: SZ089912
Mapcode National: GBR X7N.WP
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.RDF
Entry Name: Gravestones to Tregonwell Campbell and Shelley Families and to Vicars of St Peters in Churchyard of St Peters
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101760
Location: Bournemouth, BH1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
5186 HINTON ROAD
Gravestones to Tregonwell,
Campbell and Shelley
families, and to vicars of
St Peters, in churchyard
of St Peters.
SZ 0891 13/1D 1.8.74.
White marble altar tomb on terrace beside churchyard steps erected circa 1853
by Percy Bysshe Shelley's son to contain the poet's heart and the bodied of his
parents-in-law, William and Mary Godwin, brought here from St Pancras Churchyard
(London), and of his wife, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (died 1851). Next to
it, Gothic stone altar tomb of Mrs Maria Campbell (died 1860): pink marble colonnettes
at corners, dog-tooth round inscription panel, foliage carving at ends and under
eaves. Just below, the gravestones of several vicars, including the first, Alexander
Morden Bennett (died 1880): crosses at head and foot, one with roundel of chalice.
On next higher 'landing' of steps the Perpendicular style panelled altar tomb
of Bournemouth's founder, Lewis Tregonwell, erected 1846.
The Church of St Peter, Churchyard Cross, Lychgate, Chapel of the Resurrection,
and 2 groups of gravestones form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ0892791204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings