This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7211 / 50°43'15"N
Longitude: -1.8787 / 1°52'43"W
OS Eastings: 408657
OS Northings: 91278
OS Grid: SZ086912
Mapcode National: GBR X77.0X
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.PWG
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101700
Location: Bournemouth, BH1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. ALBERT ROAD
5l86 (South East Side)
Roman Catholic Church
of the Sacred Heart
SZ O891 13/136 1.8.74.
1872-4, Henry Clutton, enlarged and externally remodelled 1896-8 by A J Pilkington.
Interior preserves most of Clutton: 3-bay arcades, Early French double-columns
with shaft-rings and simplified capitals. Crossing arches similar, but clustered
columns on foliage corbels. North aisle with transverse half-arches as buttresses,
south aisle with gables at right-angles. Nave roof boarded, with big kingposts.
East end all by Pilkington: short chancel, with east wall panelled in marble
as background for reredos by P P Pugin, with 3 spirelets over statues, 8 smaller
niches. Altar rail of strange Renaissance design (? Clutton): openwork brass
foliage, with white marble portrait medallions of Jesuit saints, in shallow bow.
North chapel with tieceron vault and Spanish Gothic altar of the Assumption (192l-2).
South chapel, wooden vault, another canopied reveals. Externally, tower by Clutton:
buff brick and stone with straight-headed transomed and traceried belfry windows,
cornice with globules and pyramid spire of banded slate. Remainder by Pilkington,
in rock-faced Portland stone, except for Clutton's aisle gables (Perpendicular
tracery). Windowless gable to chancel with canopied niches, on high basement
The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred heart form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ0865791278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings