This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2151 / 53°12'54"N
Longitude: -1.3394 / 1°20'21"W
OS Eastings: 444212
OS Northings: 368878
OS Grid: SK442688
Mapcode National: GBR 7BW.J5R
Mapcode Global: WHDFJ.DGF1
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79385
Location: Sutton cum Duckmanton, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S44
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Sutton cum Duckmanton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
SK 46 NW PARISH OF SUTTON CUM DUCKMANTON HALL LANE
2/37 (East Side)
31.1.67 Church of St Mary
Church. Early C14, C15 and C17. Coursed sandstone with sandstone dressings. Slate
and lead roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, and chancel with
north aisle. Perp west tower of two stages, divided by a stringcourse beneath
the bell openings. The tower is engaged by the nave to the east and has diagonal
buttresses to the west. 2-light bell openings with hoodmoulds and panel tracery.
Stringcourse above with gargoyles and battlements with four diminutive pinnacles.
South elevation, left to right: 2-light early C14 window with curvilinear tracery.
Above, and to the right, a C17 window of two semi-circular headed lights beneath a
square head. C14 porch with double-chamfered arch with hoodmould. To the right,
a 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Chancel with battlements, pinnacles
and buttresses, a 3-light window with geometric tracery and a 2-light window with
reticulated tracery. North aisle windows of three and four round-headed lights
beneath flat arches, probably C17. Interior with a C14 north arcade of five bays
with octagonal piers and capitals and double chamfered arches. West gallery of
1738 with raised and fielded panels. In the north aisle, three late C18 prayer
boards. Screen with five semi-circular cusped arches. C17 communion rails with
turned balusters. Panelled dado around the sanctuary and in the north aisle.
Incised slab to John Foljambe 1499 and a wall tablet with bust to Samuel Pierrepont
Listing NGR: SK4421268878
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings