History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II Listed Building in Pinxton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0905 / 53°5'25"N

Longitude: -1.3243 / 1°19'27"W

OS Eastings: 445346

OS Northings: 355018

OS Grid: SK453550

Mapcode National: GBR 7DG.809

Mapcode Global: WHDG3.MLK4

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 8 July 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79304

Location: Pinxton, Bolsover, Derbyshire, NG16

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

Civil Parish: Pinxton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Pinxton St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Pinxton

Listing Text

SK 45 NE PARISH OF PINXTON PARK LANE
13/134 (South Side)
Church of St Helen
8.7.66 II


Parish church. C13 tower and chapel, 1750 nave and chancel, with north aisle and
vestry added 1939. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, red plain tile
roof to chancel with stone coped gables on plain kneelers, lead roofs elsewhere. 3
bay nave with north aisle, 2 bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel/organ bay
with two stage tower attached to south. Plinth. West elevation rebuilt 1939, two
shallow gabled bays, that to south with advanced shallow gabled stone porch with
clasping buttresses and segmental headed doorcase. Raised cross above in gable.
Northern bay has advanced canted bay with adjoining pair of semi-circular headed
windows to front and moulded stone copings to flush parapets. North aisle has three
similar pairs of semi-circular headed windows below flush parapets with moulded
copings and to east the vestry with two plain doorcases and a 2-light chamfered
mullion window. To east end, vestry has two shallow 3-light chamfered mullion
windows below and one large similar window above. C18 chancel has gabled east wall
partly rebuilt in C20, with raised quoins and central semi-circular headed window
with raised imposts and sill. South chancel wall has four-centred arched door with
raised quoined jambs to east and projecting C13 bay to west which has C19 3-light
chamfered mullion window facing east and tower beyond to south. Tower has stepped
diagonal buttresses to first stage on southern corners, a C14 2-light Decorated
tracer led pointed window with hoodmould to east and small slit window to south.
Upper stage rebuilt 1897 with single light shallow pointed louvred bell openings to
each side, and flush parapets with moulded copings. West elevation of organ bay has
C13 chamfered lancet, and south elevation of nave has three semi-circular headed
chamfered C18 windows. Interior has segmental headed doorcase into the nave, three
bay north arcade of semi-circular headed arches on columns with stepped square
capitals, and full width segmental arch from nave to chancel. Pointed arch from
chancel into south chapel/organ bay and small moulded pointed doorcase from this into
the tower, also small segment headed doorcase from chancel into north vestry.
Southern bay, known as Brookhill aisle has large organ and three wall monuments, one
c1780 to Robert and Sarah Lillyman, signed 'AB Fecit' with segmental pediment topped
with coat of arms, cherubs to base and scrolled sides, the others c1870 of enamelled
brass in moulded stone surround and c1890 in C18 style. Chancel has three large
slate and white marble wall monuments to Coke family, two to south side with painted
coats of arms to top, of c1759, 1801 and 1811. Various other early C20 plaques to
rest of church. Font to west end of north aisle is octagonal with moulded stem and
painted panels to each side of the bowl. Other fittings all C20. Some re-used C18
timbers to nave and chancel roofs. Mid C19 and early C20 stained glass to some
windows.


Listing NGR: SK4534655018

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.