History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Tibshelf, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1432 / 53°8'35"N

Longitude: -1.3427 / 1°20'33"W

OS Eastings: 444064

OS Northings: 360872

OS Grid: SK440608

Mapcode National: GBR 7CN.WYC

Mapcode Global: WHDFX.B8W6

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 8 July 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79332

Location: Tibshelf, Bolsover, Derbyshire, DE55

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

Civil Parish: Tibshelf

Built-Up Area: Tibshelf

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Tibshelf St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Hardstoft

Listing Text

SK 46 SW PARISH OF TIBSHELF HIGH STREET
9/163 (East Side)
Church of St
8.7.66 John the
Baptist
II


Parish church. C15 tower, nave and chancel 1887-8. by Bodley and Garner, later C20
additions. Ashlar with slate and leaded roofs. Two stage west tower, 3 bay nave
with north and south aisles, and two bay chancel with chapel and hall attached to
north. Deep moulded plinth throughout. Tower has two tall stages with chamfered
band between and full height stepped diagonal buttresses. Small ovolo moulded
pointed west door with hoodmould below large 3-light pointed Perpendicular tracer led
window, also with hoodmould. Small stair window to right. Bell stage has pointed 2-
light louvred Perpendicular traceried openings in cavetto moulded surrounds with
hoodmoulds, clockface below north and south openings. Eaves stringcourse with two
gargoyles to north and south sides, embattled parapets with corner and central piers
topped by steeple finials. North aisle has 3-light 4-centred arched window with
Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould to west and two similar windows beyond pointed
moulded doorcase to north side. Chapel beyond to east with similar 2-light window
below projecting parapets on plain corbel table. Gableted buttresses between bays
and to corners of chapel and aisle. Rendered gabled bay and C20 hall beyond again to
east, of no special interest. East elevation of chancel has 3-light pointed window
with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with block-like stops flanked by stepped angle
buttresses. South elevation has two similar windows. South aisle has pointed
windows with hoodmoulds and Perpendicular tracery, of 3-lights to east, and two of 2-
lights and one of 3-lights to south. Stepped gableted buttresses to corners and
between eastern windows. Between western windows is an inset stone sundial dated
1831. Gabled porch beyond to west has pointed moulded door with hoodmould below
niche with statue, flanked by short diagonal buttresses. Coved eaves stringcourse,
embattled parapets with triangular section pilasters with crocketed tops to each bay.
West wall of aisle has flat headed 3-light window with cusped semi-circular headed
lights, and stone above dated 1659. Moulded pointed inner south door with hoodmould.
Interior has 4 bay north and south arcades, both with moulded pointed arches, those
to south on octagonal piers with trefoil motifs at the top on each side and moulded
capitals, those to north on quatrefoil piers with hollow chamfers between four
attached shafts, also with moulded capitals. Tall continuous double chamfered tower
arch and moudled pointed chancel arch on octagonal responds with moulded capitals,
similar arch from north aisle to north chapel. 2 bay arcade between chancel and
north chapel, low pointed arches on central octagonal pier, and carved corbel
responds. Cusped braced roofs on carved corbels. Early C20 carved timber altar,
altar rails, choir stalls and pulpit, c1867 marble font with circular bowl on stem of
four colonnettes, below weighted carved font cover. Several wall monuments including
stone plaque to William Head, d 1735 and brass plaque of c1683 to chancel, similar
brass c1792 to William Hodgkinson near tower arch, stone plaque in north aisle of
c1726 and fine late C17 stone monument with illegible inscription in moulded aedicule
supported by winged skull and surmounted by segmental pediment with central angel's
head. Late C19 stained glass to chancel.


Listing NGR: SK4406460872

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.