This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.121 / 53°7'15"N
Longitude: -1.338 / 1°20'16"W
OS Eastings: 444398
OS Northings: 358404
OS Grid: SK443584
Mapcode National: GBR 7D1.BJ5
Mapcode Global: WHDFX.FT28
Entry Name: Church of St Werburgh
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79219
Location: Blackwell, Bolsover, Derbyshire, DE55
Civil Parish: Blackwell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Blackwell St Werburgh
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 45 NW PARISH OF BLACKWELL CHURCH HILL
12/49 (South Side)
8.7.66 Church of St Werburgh
Parish church. 1824-7 by Daniel Hodkin, rebuilt except for tower 1878-9 by J B
Mitchell-Withers, re-using some earlier fragments. Tooled ashlar with plain ashlar
dressings and slate roofs with stone coped gables plus ridge cross tochancel gable.
West tower, 3 bay nave with south porch and single bay chancel with north vestry.
Three stage tower has deep plinth, wide band between first and second stage with
narrower band over, and plain sill band to bell stage. First stage has double
chamfered pointed west door with plaque over inscribed 'Rebuilt AD 1824 J Gill and
Adlington Church Wardens', and pointed Y-tracery window above. Clockfaces to all
except east side to second stage and pointed louvred, Y-tracery bell openings over.
Stepped eaves band and embattled parapets with crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave and
chancel with continuous chamfered sill band. North nave elevation has three pointed
3-light windows with assorted geometric and intersecting tracery below wide
bracketed eaves. To east, a gabled vestry with ogee headed single light window to
west, pointed 2-light cusped ogee traceried window to north and pointed chamfered
doorcase to east. Chancel has 3-light geometric traceried pointed window with
returned hoodmould to east and cusped ogee headed single light window to south.
Buttresses between nave and chancel, nave south elevation similar to north elevation
plus gabled porch to west with pointed doorcase below ridge cross. Below central
window there are 2 attached early C18 tombstones with incised decoration, to
Elizabeth Sampton and her son. Interior has tall double chamfered chancel arch with
soffit on moulded column corbels, small pointed doorcase into tower and pointed arch
into north vestry from chancel. Plain late C19 fittings including octagonal stone
font. One re-set C12 column to north wall and a C9 cross shaft in the porch.
Several re-setmonuments in the tower, one c1780 with shouldered architrave on
moulded consoles to Lucy Boot, similar to Ann Wilkinson, who died 1762 and slate and
white marble wall memorial to Stephen Wilkinson, died 1793 signed 'An Ince Maton'.
Similar mid C19 memorial and one early C19 charity plaque.
Listing NGR: SK4439858404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings