This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0512 / 53°3'4"N
Longitude: -1.4067 / 1°24'24"W
OS Eastings: 439867
OS Northings: 350600
OS Grid: SK398506
Mapcode National: GBR 6CD.R53
Mapcode Global: WHDG8.CKDR
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79113
Location: Ripley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE5
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Ripley
Built-Up Area: Ripley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ripley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 35 SE RIPLEY CHURCH STREET
3/69 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1821, built by the Butterley Company, restored 1951 and baptistery
added 1921. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof with
stone coped gables on gableted kneelers, plus ridge finials. Coved eaves band to
nave. 5 bay nave with south-west tower, single bay chancel with baptisteryto north-
east. Plinth. Gabled west end of nave has three stepped double chamfered lancets
flanked by stepped gableted buttresses and with stepped angle buttresses to corners.
Central moulded circular window above in the gable. North nave elevation has wide
bay to west with two double chamfered lancets flanked by stepped buttresses, and
4 pointed 2-light cusped traceried windows to east, that to far east now blocked
by 1921 baptistery of no special interest. North chancel elevation also blocked
by baptistery. East window of 3-lights with geometric tracery has small moulded
circular window above in the gable and flanking buttresses. South elevation has
a trefoil-headed lancet and pointed door to chancel and four pointed 2-light
windows, similar to those to north, to nave, which projects forward from the chancel.
Stepped buttresses between bays and to east corner. To west end is the three stage
tower with full height stepped angle buttresses. First stage has moulded pointed
south door with inner moulding on nook-shafts with foliage capitals and angled
staircase turret to west side. Continuous moulded sill string-course above and
three adjoining trefoil-headed lancets with continuous hoodmould, lancets to either
side blind. Above, bell stage has chamfered band to base and large pointed moulded
arches to each side with three stepped trefoil-headed lancets within, lancets to
either side with louvres and central one with circular clock faces to top decorated
with cusped dagger motifs. Clock faces made of cast iron, designed by John Alleyne.
Cornice with ballflower decoration over and embattled parapets. All openings have
hoodmoulds with foliage stops except four south nave windows from the tower, western
blind arcaded gallery on iron columns and tall double chamfered pointed chancel
arch with soffit on foliage corbels and hoodmould. Caernarvon arched doorcase from
chancel to baptistery. Arched braced roof trusses on foliage corbels to nave and
scissor trusses to chancel. Fittings mostly late C19 or early C20. Octagonal stone
font with blind trefoil headed panels to stem and blind quatrefoil to sides of bowl.
Unusual Art Nouveau style polygonal pulpit in alabaster and green marble and similar
style war memorial. Three early C19 brass plaques and later C19 marble wall
memorials. Coloured glass to nave windows, c1950 east window.
Listing NGR: SK3986750600
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings