History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alfreton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Alfreton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0976 / 53°5'51"N

Longitude: -1.3948 / 1°23'41"W

OS Eastings: 440618

OS Northings: 355766

OS Grid: SK406557

Mapcode National: GBR 7D5.VJY

Mapcode Global: WHDG2.KD0P

Entry Name: Alfreton Hall

Listing Date: 25 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79049

Location: Alfreton, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE55

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Alfreton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Alfreton St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Alfreton

Listing Text

SK 40 55 NE ALFRETON CHURCH STREET
(south side)
8/6
Alfreton Hall

GV II

Remains of county house, now education centre. 1898. Ashlar with hipped slate
roof and rear external, corniced ashlar stacks. Two storeys and 11 bays, 2 western
bays lower and greatly recessed,single bay to east slightly recessed and bays 4,
5 and 6 also slightly recessed. Deep moulded plinth, rusticated full height
pilasters to corners and between bays 8 and 9 and moulded eaves cornice which breaks
forward over the pilasters, plus balustrade with square piers over the pilasters
and vase shaped balusters between. Also large pedimented panel over doorcase to
bay 5. Datestone, to base of pilaster between bays 8 and 9 inscribed 'CRPM, PMPM,
RCAPM, CWSPM, July 1st 1898. Bays 4, 5 and 6 have loggia to ground floor with
3 moulded and rusticated semicircular headed arches on large impost blocks supported
by 4 Tuscan columns. Triglyphed frieze over and moulded cornice. Behind, there
are central double glazed, panelled doors below divided overlight flanked by full
height plain sashes. Three similar sashes to west and 4 similar to east plus
inserted doors to bay 8. Above 11 similar sashes. All openings in moulded archi-
traves, first floor window above the doorcase to bay 5 also with pulvinated frieze
and pediment. Thin stringcourse above first floor windows from bays 3 to 10.
Interior has oak panelling, large fireplaces with oak overmantles and plasterwork
ceilings to 2 ground floor rooms and eastern bedrooms. Moulded cornices and marble
fireplaces elsewhere. This building is all that remains of a much larger county
house of c1724-5 for George Morewood by Francis Smith of Warwick, which was
demolished


Listing NGR: SK4061855766

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.