History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Heanor, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.993 / 52°59'34"N

Longitude: -1.396 / 1°23'45"W

OS Eastings: 440641

OS Northings: 344135

OS Grid: SK406441

Mapcode National: GBR 7FJ.7XB

Mapcode Global: WHDGN.J1G9

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 20 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78833

Location: Smalley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE7

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Smalley

Built-Up Area: Heanor

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Smalley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Kilburn

Listing Text

PARISH OF SMALLEY MAIN ROAD
SK 44 SW
5/55 (West Side)
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
Church
II

Parish church. 1793, aisles added 1844, porch added c1850, chancel
rebuilt 1863 and tower added 1912. Sandstone ashlar, with random
coursing to the tower, and sandstone dressings, also with continuous
moulded sill stringcourse and plinth with moulded copings to chancel.
Slate roofs with stone coped gables, except belled pyramidal tower
roof of plain tiles. Nave with north and south aisles, lower chancel
with side bay to west, south porch and tower to north-west corner
of the nave. West elevation of nave has a blocked, central, semi-
circular headed doorcase with single light semi-circular headed window above.
To either side, the aisles have single light windows with ogee headed
lights, pierced spandrels and hoodmoulds with carved head labelstops.
Attached to north of north aisle is the tower which has wide corner
pilaster strips and a louvred timber framed bell chamber below the
eaves. West elevation of the tower has a segmental arched doorcase
with a pointed inner arch and double doors. To south is a foundation
stone inscribed 'To the Glory of God. This stone was laid May 25
1912'. North and south facades have pairs of trefoil headed lancets
under single relieving arches. North nave aisle has three 3-light
flat headed windows with ogee headed lights, pierced spandrels and
hoodmoulds with carved head labelstops, also low buttresses between
the windows and a diagonal buttress to east end. Eastern end of the
aisle has a similar 2-light window to those facing north and beyond
to east the chancel has a moulded lancet with hoodmould. East window
is a stepped triple lancet in moulded surround, with outer mouldings
on thin attached shafts, also with continuous hoodmould,and gableted
angle buttresses to either side. South side of chancel has a Y-
traceried window with hoodmould and south aisle has a 2-light east
window similar to that on the north aisle. South elevation has two
3-light windows similar to those on north aisle and beyond to west is
a neo-Norman porch, which has a cable and zig zag moulded semi-
circular headed doorcase with scalloped capitals and grotesque label-
stops to hood. Each side of the porch has a roll moulded semi-circular
headed window with scalloped capitals. To either end of aisle there
are diagonal buttresses, there are also low buttresses between the
windows. Interior has three bay north and south arcades of wide,
double chamfered pointed arches on columns with moulded bases and
capitals. Similar style chancel arch, except soffit moulding rests
on polished marble corbels with stiff leaf capitals. Roofs all C19.
Pews, choir stalls, reredos, octagonal stone pulpit and screen to
eastern part of north aisle all c1863 with cusped panelling. C15
style stone font to west end of nave, on octagonal stem, also of
c1863. Chancel has an enamelled brass plaque inscribed 'This church
was erected to the honour and glory of God by Mary Brittle Radford,
wife of John Radford Esq of Smalley AD 1863'. Also in the chancel
are several wall memorials, including two slate and white marble
ones to the Radford family of c1822 and 1834. Similar style memorial
of c1768 to the Richardson family in the chancel and another in the
south aisle of 1813 with urn to top. Other memorials mostly
in enamelled brass and late C19. Vivid c1863 stained glass to
all chancel windows and a Pre-Raphaelite style east window to
south aisle of c1882. West windows also have stained glass,
central one with glass of c1896 and flanking ones, dated 1974.
North aisle east window has glass of c1951. To west end of nave
is a carved oak war memorial.


Listing NGR: SK4064144135


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.