History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denby, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.014 / 53°0'50"N

Longitude: -1.408 / 1°24'28"W

OS Eastings: 439816

OS Northings: 346461

OS Grid: SK398464

Mapcode National: GBR 6CZ.4TG

Mapcode Global: WHDGG.BHSR

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78781

Location: Denby, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE5

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Denby

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Denby St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ripley

Listing Text

SK 34 NE PARISH OF DENBY CHURCH STREET
1/3 (South Side)
Church Farmhouse
13.2.67 and attached
outbuilding
GV II*

Farmhouse with attached outbuilding, now farmhouse, cottage and
shop. Early C17, possibly with medieval core, greatly extended
1699 with C18, C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Rubble
and ashlar sandstone, as well as red brick, partly with
vitrified headers and partly rendered. Stone quoins and stone
dressings, also stone plinth to east elevation. Plain tile roof
with moulded stone copings on plain kneelers and one brick coped
gable to north. One brick ridge stack to north, one large
external brick stack to south with large inset panels to top and
one large, stepped, external stone stack to east, made of
massive stone blocks, also one C19 rendered brick stack to north
gable on east elevation. Two storeys plus attics. Complex plan
with earliest range to east, running north-south, and large
addition of 1699 to west, running east-west, which has two
gabled bays to south and northern bay with gable facing north.
West elevation is of brick which is rendered to first floor to
two north bays. Ground floor has a C19 2-light window with
plain sashes to north, a pair of double glazed doors under C19
lintel to centre and a partly blocked and partly glazed opening
under C19 lintel to south. Both central and southern openings
are set in disturbed brickwork. Above, a plain sash to north,
similar sash to centre set slightly higher, and C20 casement in
southern bay also in disturbed brickwork. Above again in
southern gable is a small glazing bar sash under C19 stone
lintel. South elevation is rendered to east side and brickwork
to west, with gabled crosswing to east. Ground floor has
inserted stable door to west and beyond the external stack to
east a C20 casement with similar smaller one on west wall of
advanced bay. Above, a blocked opening over the inserted door
and a glazing bar sash over the large C20 window, the gabled bay
has a central plain sash. East elevation has stone section to
north, central brick section to north of stone stack and
rendered brick section to south. This rendered part has a plain
sash to south and a C20 casement to north of a segment headed
doorcase. To north, beyond the stack, is a C20 casement under
plain stone lintel and a C20 glazed door under similar lintel.
Beyond again in the stone area is an inserted C20 casement with
a plain sash to north set in C17 recessed and chamfered opening
with dripmould. Above, to south, two segment headed plain
sashes and to north at half landing level is a small recessed
and chamfered window. Above this the stonework is set back
slightly and there is a 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion
window. North elevation has gabled bay to east in stone with
cross wing in stone to west, beyond which is the advanced brick
bay of the 1699 addition with various later lean-tos attached to
east and north. East bay has a gabled C19 brick porch with
semi-circular headed doorcase to west and to east a central
2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window with dripmould.
Above, is another similar window and to west is a similar
3-light window but without dripmould. Above again in the gable
is a single light recessed and chamfered window. The advanced
bay to west has C20 lean-to to ground floor, C20 casement
window to second floor and central plain sash in gable. Above,
to top of gable is a stone plaque inscribed 'John Lowe July the
2 1699'. Attached to east side of eastern bay is a C19 brick
archway and a single storey outbuilding of rubble stone with
corrugated asbestos roof, stone coped gables, stone quoins and
C20 window and doors to north side. Interior of house has fine
open well, turned baluster C17 staircase with thick moulded
handrail, ball finials and pendents, and splat baluster
dog-gate, through three floors. It also has a complete C17
panelled bedroom, the remains of C18 panelling in one room and a
splendid late C16 oak chimneypiece with fluted side pilasters,
three semi-circular headed panels with incised decoration and a
fluted frieze above, reputedly dated 1570 with DL initials. In
coal shed to south-east corner of house is a remarkable oak
beamed ceiling made up of a grid of elaborately enriched
timbers.


Listing NGR: SK3981646461

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.