History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Holbrook, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.998 / 52°59'52"N

Longitude: -1.4593 / 1°27'33"W

OS Eastings: 436385

OS Northings: 344653

OS Grid: SK363446

Mapcode National: GBR 6D3.3VK

Mapcode Global: WHDGF.KX91

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 20 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78789

Location: Holbrook, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Holbrook

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Holbrook St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Holbrook

Listing Text

PARISH OF HOLBROOK CHURCH STREET
SK 34 SE
4/13 (West Side)
Church of St Michael
GV II

Parish church. 1761, mostly rebuilt and enlarged 1841 by
Williams Evans, also altered in early C20. Ashlar sandstone
with sandstone dressings and slate roof, hipped to south aisle,
with wide overhanging eaves and western bellcote. Plinth, wide
clasping corner pilasters and plain eaves band. Italianate
style. Nave, chancel, south nave aisle, and north vestry and
porch. West elevation has three adjoining semi-
circular headed windows with metal casements and plain sill band
below. To centre of gable above is a raised section of wall
supported on corbel table, with central bull's eye window in
moulded surround, which continues up into the bellcote. This
has louvred semi-circular headed bell openings to east and west
sides with moulded arches, raised keystones and imposts, also
corner pilasters and a widely overhanging roof with bracketed
eaves. North elevation has a porch to west end with central
semi-circular headed window in raised surround to north side and
semi-circular headed doorcase to east with raised arch,
vermiculated keystone and panelled door, also a broad continuous
impost band and pedimented roof over the door. To east the nave
has three tall semi-circular headed windows with Y-tracery,
beyond these is the north vestry with semi-circular headed
western door and northern window similar to that to porch. To
east again is a blocked semi-circular headed window with small
2-light window to base. East elevation has an inserted
Caernarvon arched doorcase to north and to centre a large
Diocletian window, now with incongruous 1930s tracery. Above in
the gable is a clockface. South elevation has one original
semi-circular headed window with metal casement to east and to
west the south aisle with wide semi-circular headed 3-light
mullion windows, four to south, and one to east with cusped
tracery to top of the lights. Each window has full height
stepped buttresses each side. West end of aisle has a circular
window in moulded surround, and a low addition attached to base.
Interior has four bay south arcade with plain square piers and
semi-circular arches. Stepped semi-circular chancel arch with
pilaster strips to either side and beyond narrow pointed arches
through to separate bays either side of the chancel. Above the
southern arch is a shallow 2-light opening. Chancel has barrel
vaulted ceiling and blind semi-circular headed arches to either
side. Nave roof has a grid of beams and aisle roof is barrel
vaulted with plain transverse ribs. West end of nave has
segmental blind arch across full width of nave. Elaborate 1938
chancel fittings in oak with carved pierced friezes, including
similar style pulpit. Nave pews C19 and plain. Stone font to
west end of nave C18 with bulbous stem. Various wall memorials,
the best to Thomas Bradshaw Armigen, c1760, of coloured marble.
Of the remaining four there are two C19 slate and white marble
memorials and two similar early C20 ones. East window has early
C20 stained glass and west window of south aisle has painted
rose window, probably early C19.


Listing NGR: SK3638544653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.