History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Clement

A Grade I Listed Building in Horsley, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9965 / 52°59'47"N

Longitude: -1.4422 / 1°26'31"W

OS Eastings: 437538

OS Northings: 344498

OS Grid: SK375444

Mapcode National: GBR 6D4.27C

Mapcode Global: WHDGF.TYF6

Entry Name: Church of St Clement

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78802

Location: Horsley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE21

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Horsley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Horsley St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Kilburn

Listing Text

PARISH OF HORSLEY CHURCH STREET
SK 34 SE
4/26 (West Side)
1.3.2.67 Church of St Clement

GV I

Parish church. Early C14, mid C15 with restoration 1858-60.
Sandstone ashlar with sandstone dressings. Shallow pitched lead
roofs with embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, mostly C19.
Moulded plinth, sill stringcourses and coved eaves band. Western
tower with broached stone spire, clerestoried nave with north and
south aisles, lower chancel with single bays to north and south
and south porch. Three stage west tower has stepped angle buttresses
rising to the third stage, with gableted tops, those to south-west
corner are placed against an external staircase turret with
castellated top. South elevation of the tower has a small pointed
chamfered doorcase under hoodmould with carved head labelstops.
Above chamfered stringcourse in second stage is a cusped ogee
headed lancet with hoodmould over. Above again is a 2-light louvred
bell opening with reticulated tracery,hoodmould and chamfered sill
stringcourse. West elevation has two C19 trefoil headed lancets to
base and similar openings to those on south face above. North
elevation is blank to ground floor and has openings similar to those on
west side above Spire has moulded cornice to base with corner gargoyles
and four gableted lucarnes to four sides on two levels, those below
2-light and those above single light . North aisle has low clasping
corner buttresses and four C15 flat headed windows with cusped ogee
headed lights and pierced spandrels, each set in deeply chamfered
surround with hoodmould over. Three western ones are 2-light whilst
that to east is 3-light. Between the windows are stepped buttresses
and in the second bay from the west is a blocked pointed chamfered
doorcase. Above,plain, slightly projecting parapets and the
clerestory with eight segment headed, 2-light traceried windows
arranged in pairs, with triangular pilasters between rising over
the embattled parapets in crocketed pinnacles. East end of north
aisle has similar 3-light window to that on north side except the
head is slightly cambered. Chancel to east has similar 2-light
window to those of north aisle, East elevation of chancel has
central 3-light window similar to one on north aisle flanked by
diagonal buttresses and with stringcourse below. Above, parapets
have corner pinnacles and nave gable has 2-light flat headed window
with cusped ogee headed lights. South side of chancel has similar
window to north side,to east,and a small pointed doorcase with
continuous hoodmould to west. South aisle has 3-light window with
cambered head, deeply chamfered surround with moulded edge, hood-
mould with corbelled-like labelstops, moulded mullions and cusped
ogee headed lights with pierced spandrels, also stringcourse at
sill level. South side of aisle has three similar 2-light windows,
one beyond the south porch. Between the windows and to either end
are stepped buttresses rising into crocketed pinnacles. East end
of aisle has two gargoyles. South porch is C15 and has pointed
doorcase with moulded jambs flanked by diagonal buttresses. Above
is an ogee headed canopy and corbel for statuette and an original
stone crucifix. The sides of porch each have 2-light flat headed
windows with lobed heads to lights. Inner door is early C14 and
has elaborate moulding with attached shafts and hoodmould over.
Interior has three bay north and south arcades, both with pointed
double chamfered arches and moulded capitals, southern arcade
with columns and northern one with octagonal piers. Triple
chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals to soffit mould and
double chamfered, pointed chancel arch with soffit moulding on
corbels, both have C20 oak screens across, that to tower arch
installed 1950 and that to chancel arch, in Dec style, installed
1920. At west end of the chancel to either side, similar arches to
chancel arch, that to north through to organ bay and that to south
with wooden screen through to vestry. On north side of chancel
to east is a small pointed C19 doorcase with similar C15 door
opposite and beyond that to east is a triple C15 sedilla with cusped
ogee headed niches, and shields to either side above. Nave has
blocked pointed northern doorcase with carved C13 head over and also
a Caernarvon arched doorcase at clerestory level, from the tower.
North and south aisles both have piscinas in their easternmost bays.
Also the south aisle has a continuous moulded sill band and moulded
doorcase. Roofs all C19 in C16 style. Carved oak reredos installed
1928 and choir stalls in similar style installed 1935. Pulpit and
nave pews all c1860. The font is C15 with octagonal bowl decorated
with fleurons, stem probably restored in C19. Several wall
memorials, mostly in black slate and white marble, including
slightly grander one to William Brooks and wife with weeping
classical figure over, of c1834 in the chancel. The vestry has
one good memorial to Hudson family of c1870 and three other late
C18 and early C19 ones. North aisle has three more black and white
ones as well as an elaborate Gothick memorial by S Robinson of
Derby to the Hunter family of c1870 and a nice classical alabaster
and slate one of c1767 to the Fletcher family. West end of aisle
also has a lead plaque inscribed 'John Woolly Church Warden July 4
1771'. Various stained glass windows, that to chancel east window
of 1863, that to east of north aisle of c1860 and that to east of
south aisle of c1890. Also two central windows of north aisle have
stained glass by R A Bell of 1933 and one of south aisle windows
has fragments of C14 glass.


Listing NGR: SK3754044502

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.