History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Shipley, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9935 / 52°59'36"N

Longitude: -1.3522 / 1°21'7"W

OS Eastings: 443581

OS Northings: 344214

OS Grid: SK435442

Mapcode National: GBR 7FL.6ZC

Mapcode Global: WHDGP.60CY

Entry Name: The Gardens

Listing Date: 14 October 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78822

Location: Shipley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE75

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Shipley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Cotmanhay and Shipley Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Eastwood

Listing Text

PARISH OF SHIPLEY SHIPLEY PARK ROAD
SK 44 SW
5/44 (East Side)
14.10.74 The Gardens

GV II

House, now offices. 1882, built for the Miller-Mundys of Shipley
Hall. Red brick with stone dressings, quoins and bands, plus
jettied timber frame first floor with diagonal brick nogging,
and plaster infill to the top of the gables. Steeply pitched
red clay tile roofs with wide overhanging eaves and bargeboarded
gables. Brick ridge stacks with stone bands and cornice, and
raised vertical brick bands. Two storeys and two bays by two
bays. In style of Nesfield and Norman Shaw. South elevation
has two gabled bays, that to west slightly advanced. Eastern
bay has central 3-light recessed and cavetto moulded mullion window
with four-centred arched lights and incised spandrels. Similar
style 5-light bow window to west. Above, two 4-light timber mullion
windows and jettied gables with cambered ties and decorative timber-
work. West gable has a central plaster plaque with crest of Miller-
Mundy family dated 1882, and inscribed 'EMM'. West elevation
has an advanced gabled bay to north with 4-light mullion window,
similar to those on south elevation to ground floor. Attached
to south is a lower gabled porch, open to ground floor with four-
centred arch on octagonal piers and also with carved spandrels,
supporting the upper room. Doorcase behind has four-centred arched
head and a plank door with elaborate hinges. To south is a small
four-centred arched window, and beyond is a 2-light window, also
with four-centred arched lights. Northern bay has 4-light timber
mullion window above and porch has similar 2-light window. Above
again, jettied gables with decorative timberwork. Interior has
panelled doors and stick baluster staircase.


Listing NGR: SK4358144214

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.