This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1135 / 53°6'48"N
Longitude: -1.5035 / 1°30'12"W
OS Eastings: 433333
OS Northings: 357482
OS Grid: SK333574
Mapcode National: GBR 6BH.YGC
Mapcode Global: WHCDW.W07G
Entry Name: Lea Hall, Gatepier and Boundary Wall to the North
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Last Amended: 14 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78713
Location: Dethick, Lea and Holloway, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Dethick, Lea and Holloway
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Dethick St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/12/2015
SK 35 NW
PARISH OF DETHICK, LEA AND HOLLOWAY,
LEA MAIN ROAD (South Side)
Lea Hall, gatepier and boundary wall to the north
(Formerly listed under LEA MOOR ROAD (South Side).
Previously listed as Lea Hall)
House. Dated 1754 on door lintel but subjected to alterations and additions from
C18 to C20. Ashlar gritstone front, rising from a stepped plinth, with chamfered
quoins, modillioned cornice and parapet. Brick flanking wings, set back from main
elevation, and rear elevation of coursed rubble gritstone with moulded kneelers and
gable copings. Intermediate and gable end ridge stacks of ashlar, and stone slated
roof coverings. Double pile plan. North range, north elevation. Seven bays, with
two end bays lower and set back. Central five bays 2:1:2 with glazing bar sashes
in moulded surrounds incorporating projecting keyblocks. Central bay delineated by
fluted giant pilasters, which support a full entablature. Modillioned cornice is
carried across the five bays, and is returned at the ends. The central bay is
slightly advanced, and is approached by a shallow flight of five steps. Central
doorway with Gibbs surround, and door with Gothic glazing. Flanking bays with
semi-circular headed windows to ground floors and flat headed windows alive, all
with stone surrounds, the former with key blocks to semi-circular arches. Sash
frames, incorporating tracery made up of linked semi-circles. Rear elevation, in
the characteristic vernacular style, with 2 and 3-light flush mullioned windows
with glazing bar sashes and some C20 frames. An inscribed lintel reads PN 1754
Interior. Entrance hall with fine C18 staircase with turned and twisted balusters.
C18 panelled doors and shutters. Rear pile has full height splat-baluster stair.
Dentilled plaster cornice to western brick wing ground floor room. Boundary wall
to north front, approximately 70 metres long, 2 metres high in coursed squared
gritstone, incorporating a drinking trough at the east end, and terminating at a
square gate pier with shallow pyramidal cap at the west end. Peter Nightingale;
to whom the inscription is thought to refer, was a business contemporary of
Arkwright who owned the lead smelting works at nearby Lea Bridge.
Listing NGR: SK3333357482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings