This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0286 / 53°1'42"N
Longitude: -1.4832 / 1°28'59"W
OS Eastings: 434756
OS Northings: 348044
OS Grid: SK347480
Mapcode National: GBR 6CP.3TY
Mapcode Global: WHDGF.54ZK
Entry Name: Footbridge over railway to the west of Pingle Lane (SPC8 34)
Listing Date: 13 December 1979
Last Amended: 3 March 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78595
Location: Belper, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Belper
Built-Up Area: Belper
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Belper St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
A railway accommodation overbridge forming part of the North Midland Railway Company's line from Derby to Chesterfield, completed in 1840, one of a series of carefully-detailed masonry structures designed for the railway cutting carrying the line through Belper.
BUILDING: railway accommodation overbridge.
DATE: constructed between1837-1840, as part of the development of the North Midland Railway, with late C20 minor alterations.
ARCHITECT: the bridge is thought to have been constructed to a standard design. An indenture of the 5th of December 1837 refers to 'specification and drawings or plan which have been prepared by, or under the direction of supervision of George Stephenson and Frederick Swanwick, the principal and resident engineers appointed by the said Company' (the North Midland Railway Company).
MATERIALS: ashlar and regularly coursed squared Derbyshire gritstone, with brick linings to the arch soffit.
PLAN: the bridge is a single-arch overbridge carrying a footpath over the railway. It is aligned east-west.
DESCRIPTION: the bridge has a wide segmental arch springing rising from an impost band set on ashlar quoining. The arch is formed from V-jointed ashlar voussoirs below a deep roll moulding, Above the moulding is an ashlar plinth course and a single course of rectangular gritstone blocks which together form the parapet walls of the bridge. Above these are deep, wide ashlar copings with rounded upper arrises. There are substantial slightly splayed abutments walls at either end of the bridge which terminate at ashlar quoins, advanced slightly beyond the arch spandrels.
The railway accommodation bridge SPC 8 34 at the end of Pingle Lane, Belper, forms part of the extension of the North Midland Railway line from Derby to Chesterfield, which opened in 1840. The line cut through the town of Belper, where the industrialist Jedediah Strutt had developed one of the pioneering late C18 textile manufacturing communities of the Derwent valley at the northern end of the original settlement. The new railway line was carried in a deep, mile long cutting through Belper, necessitating the construction of masonry walls to the cutting, and the provision of eleven new bridges, including those where the line passed through pre-existing streets of terraced housing built by the Strutt family for mill workers.
The new railway line was surveyed and engineered by George Stephenson, one of the pre-eminent engineers of the C19, and the railway company’s resident engineer, Frederick Swanwick. The line was constructed between 1837 and 1840, passing through challenging terrain, necessitating the construction of tunnels, bridges and viaducts of varying design. The line required a series of new stations which were designed by the North Midland Railway Company’s architect, Francis Thompson of Derby. Thompson was appointed architect to the North Midland Railway in February 1839, having returned from working in Canada. He designed the new station at Derby for the three railway companies which were later amalgamated to form the Midland Railway – the Midland Counties Railway, the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway and the North Midland Railway, as well as the stations on the line to the north of Derby of which only the station at Wingfield survives.
The Belper cutting and its bridges were the subject of one of the illustrations of the completed North Midland Railway line by the lithographic artist Samuel Russell, commissioned by the aforementioned Francis Thompson.
The railway bridge, of 1837-40, carrying the footpath from the west end of Pingle Lane over the railway line passing through Belper, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: the bridge forms part of a series of railway structures built for the North Midland Railway between 1837 and 1840. The line was designed by George Stephenson, one of the most important and influential engineers of the railway era, aided by Frederick Swanwick, the North Midland Railway company's resident engineer. The line is considered to be amongst the best- preserved examples of the pioneering phase of railway development in England, and retains many of its original engineering structures, of which this is an example;
* Architectural interest: the bridge is an example of the consistently high quality design and careful detailing of railway structures completed for the North Midland Railway between 1837 and 1840. The aesthetic quality of the bridge far exceeds the functional and structural requirements of bridge design;
* Group value: the bridge forms part of an integrated design for the Belper cutting, in which the overbridges and the cutting walls share a common architectural vocabulary, and are seen in combination with one another as elements of a railway transport landscape of great interest and quality.
Other nearby listed buildings